The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Fellowships 2024 is now accepting applications. This program provides an opportunity for young researchers to enhance their own research and contribute to the global research community.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships 2024
Successful applicants will receive financial support to collaborate with esteemed research groups in Japanese universities and institutions, working under the guidance of a Japanese host.
The aim of this initiative is to foster the growth of early career postdoctoral researchers and promote research advancements both within Japan and internationally.
The JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships have a flexible duration, ranging from a minimum of 12 months to a maximum of 24 months.
To support the fellows during their stay in Japan, JSPS provides various forms of assistance including:
- A round-trip air ticket for the fellow.
- A monthly stipend of ¥362,000 to cover living expenses.
- A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000 to help with initial costs.
- The Japanese host researcher can apply on behalf of the fellow for a research grant called the ‘Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research.’ This grant covers cooperative research-related expenses and is obtained through the host institution.
To be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Candidates must be residing in the United Kingdom, including the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
- Applicants should have completed a doctorate degree either within the past six years or have a confirmed completion date before the Fellowship begins.
- Prior arrangements with a Japanese host researcher, employed by a Japanese university or research institution, must be made by the candidates. Additionally, they should have a well-defined research plan.
- It is crucial to submit the applications before the research commences as the awards will not be granted retrospectively.
- Candidates from all fields within the humanities and social sciences can apply for this Fellowship.
How to Apply for JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships 2024?
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s grants application system at Flexi-Grant.
For further information visit the official website.
December 13, 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am an Independent Scholar, am I eligible to apply?
When applying, it is not mandatory for applicants to have an affiliation with a UK Higher Education Institution (HEI) or any other research institution. They also do not need a UK employment contract during their fellowship in Japan.
Is the money awarded to successful Fellows paid direct to them, or to their Host Institution?
The funding for this program is offered by JSPS Tokyo and can only be transferred to a bank account located in Japan. If the fellow does not possess a Japanese bank account, we recommend that they designate the host researcher to initially receive the funds.
What should I do when my application form is completed, but the ‘submit’ button isn’t appearing?
While your application may appear to be complete on the Summary page, it is crucial to ensure that your referee and/or Head of Department have finished their respective sections and marked them as complete. Once this process, along with the completion of all other pages, is done, the ‘submit’ button will become visible.
More Related Content
- JSPS RONPAKU PhD Scholarships 2023/2024 – APPLY NOW
- How do I get a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Canada
- Columbia University Climate School Postdoctoral Research Program 2024 – Fully Funded
- Government Of Quebec Postdoctoral Training Scholarships 2023/2024 – How to Apply
- IST Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2024 – APPLY NOW