The JSPS RONPAKU PhD Scholarships Program, initiated by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), has been running since 1978. This program is designed to support researchers from Asia, Africa, and other specified countries who wish to obtain their Ph.D. degrees from Japanese universities without enrolling in a doctoral course.
Under the RONPAKU Program, selected scholars, known as RONPAKU fellows, receive both financial and tutorial assistance. These RONPAKU fellows will conduct their dissertation research while being supervised by an advisor in Japan and an advisor in their home country. The aim is for RONPAKU fellows to complete their Ph.D. Program within three years which is usually the maximum time frame.
JSPS RONPAKU PhD Scholarships Details
The JSPS RONPAKU PhD Scholarships combine certain research activities in Which the RONPAKU fellows will visit a Japanese university and work while being guided directly by their advisor in Japan. In certain cases, the Japanese advisor may also visit the RONPAKU fellow’s home university or research institution to provide supervision alongside the home advisor.
It’s important to note that, in this program, the applicant is the advisor from the Japanese side, meaning the prospective RONPAKU fellow should seek a potential advisor in Japan to apply for the scholarship.
Benefits of JSPS RONPAKU Ph.D. Scholarships
Successful Applicants for the JSPS RONPAKU PhD Scholarships will receive the following benefits:
- Total funding provided to the Japanese host university
- The scholarship provides about 3.6 million yen (Up to 1.2 million yen per fiscal year)
- Recipients will have the following expenses covered by the above funding: Travel expenses of fellows to Japan, advisor’s visit to fellow’s country, goods/materials, other dissertation-related expenses
Duration of program
3 years maximum starting from 1 April 2024
- The prospective candidate must be a researcher who has not obtained a PhD degree from a university
- He/She must be intending to obtain a PhD degree from a Japanese university through the submission of a dissertation
- The researcher must have already achieved substantial research results and is likely through dissertation research
- Must be nominated by a home advisor and the president of his/her affiliated research institution
- Must have nationality in an applicable country
- Should be employed full-time at a university or research institution in his/her home country or will be appointed to such a position by 1 April 2024
- The researcher must be 45 years of age or younger as of 1 April 2024
- Finding a Japanese Advisor: Prospective RONPAKU fellows need to identify a Japanese professor or researcher who is willing to serve as their advisor in Japan. This advisor will be the one to submit the application on behalf of the applicant.
- Research Proposal: The applicant and the Japanese advisor work together to develop a research proposal outlining the objectives, methodology, and expected outcomes of the proposed research.
- Application Submission: The Japanese advisor submits the application, including the research proposal and other required documents, to the JSPS.
- For more details, kindly visit the JSPS website on: https://www.jsps.go.jp/english/e-ronpaku/applicationforms.html
August 15, 2023.