The application call has been announced for the 3rd Cohort of the African AU African Youth Ambassador for Peace (AYAP) Program 2023. The Importance of pursuing peace and security in Africa cannot be overemphasized, hence, the African Union (AU) has taken the leading role in fostering a brighter future for the African continent.
The African Union has established the African Youth Ambassador for Peace (AYAP) program, to empower and engage the youth in building a peaceful and secure Africa.
To bolster youth participation in peace and security matters, the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) made a significant move during its 807th meeting. It requested the AU Commission to appoint five regional African Youth Ambassadors for Peace (AYAP). These ambassadors work alongside the AU Youth Envoy to champion peace and security across the continent.
History of the African Union (AU)
The African Union (AU) was established in 2002, comprising about 55 member states, marking a historic transition from the Organisation of African Unity. The primary mission of the African Union includes eradicating the remnants of colonialism and apartheid, fostering unity among African nations, intensifying cooperation for development, safeguarding sovereignty, and promoting international collaboration.
The Youth for Peace (Africa) Program (Y4P)
The AU’s dedication to youth, peace, and security led to the creation of the Youth for Peace (Africa) Program (Y4P) in September 2018. This program’s core objective is to facilitate the meaningful participation of African youth across the entire spectrum of peace and security issues. It aims to dissuade young people from engaging in violence, fostering a generation committed to peace.
What Does an AYAP Do?
The African Youth Ambassadors for Peace (AYAPs) have different responsibilities:
- Advocating for the promotion of young people’s rights in their respective regions.
- Raising awareness about the AU Continental Framework on Youth Peace and Security (CFYPS) and its 10-Year Implementation Plan.
- Offering support to AU Member States in coordinating the Y4P program and developing National Action Plans.
- Implementing regional youth activities aligned with the five priority areas of the CFYPS.
- Representing the AU PAPS in various meetings, training, and workshops as required.
Qualifications for AYAP
The eligibility criteria for becoming an African Youth Ambassador for Peace are inclusive:
- Age between 15 to 35, in line with the AU Youth age.
- Candidates must have a degree in international relations, peace and conflict, political science, law, or related fields.
- Candidates with master’s degrees will have an added advantage, or have at least 2 years of experience in peace and security work with demonstrated advocacy skills in youth, peace, and security.
- A track record of promoting and supporting peace processes, especially in initiating and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues and mediation efforts.
- A strong history of community involvement and impact.
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
- Fluency in one of the AU working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese, Swahili, or Spanish). Knowledge of another AU language is a valuable asset.
Required Documents for Application
To apply for the position of an African Youth Ambassador for Peace, candidates must submit the following documents:
- An updated CV/resume.
- A brief essay (2 pages max) outlining their qualifications and their potential impact on the continent’s peace and stability.
- Educational and training certificates.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit their applications via email stated at the official website given below, on or before the deadline date.
Visit the AU website at https://www.peaceau.org/en/article/call-for-application-african-youth-ambassadors-for-peace-ayap to commence your application
October 31, 2023.
CHECK THESE OUT:
- AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship 2024 in Washington DC., The USA. – APPLY NOW
- African Union Internship Program 2023 for Young Africans – APPLY NOW!
- American University (AU) Global Leader Scholarship 2023 in USA Fully Funded – Apply Now
- Fully Funded European Commission Peace Ambassador Scholarship – Apply Now
- AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Programme 2022 – Apply Now