Do you know that OneMain Financial is a prominent personal lender, serving customers across the United States through a network of physical branches and a convenient online platform?
If you’re looking to take control of your financial future and simplify your debt management, then Debt consolidation can be a smart financial move.
Are you ready to learn how OneMain Financial can help you regain control of your finances? Let’s get started by exploring this debt consolidation firm.
What is Debt Consolidation and How Does It Work?
Debt consolidation combines several unsecured debts like credit cards, medical bills, payday loans etc. into one new loan. This new consolidation loan pays off your existing accounts and gives you just one payment each month.
The goal is to get a lower interest rate on the consolidation loan, which saves you money each month and allows you to pay off debts faster. It also simplifies finances with a single payment vs. juggling multiple.
OneMain Financial Company Background
OneMain Financial is one of the largest personal loan providers in the United States. They have existed for over 100 years and have 1,600 branch locations in 44 states.
In addition to debt consolidation loans, OneMain offers other consumer lending such as personal loans, auto loans, and secured loans. They provide both online and in-person lending options.
Benefits of OneMain Financial Debt Consolidation Loans
Here are some of the main advantages that OneMain Financial offers for debt consolidation loans:
- With physical locations nationwide, you have the option to apply for and manage your loan in person.
- OneMain offers fixed APRs from 18.00% up to 35.99% based on your creditworthiness
- This allows you to consolidate a reasonable amount of debt.
- Choose between 2 to 5-year loan terms, so you can select affordable monthly payments.
- Get your consolidation loan proceeds deposited in as soon as one business day.
Downsides of OneMain Financial Debt Consolidation Loans
However, there are also some potential drawbacks:
- You’ll need a credit score of at least 640 to be approved. Those with lower scores are disqualified.
- Expect to pay origination fees equal to 4.99% to 8% of the loan amount.
- Applicants with great credit may find lower APRs elsewhere.
The max of $30,000 is lower than some other lenders, limiting high balance consolidation.
What Debts Can Be Consolidated by OneMain Financial?
Some common eligible debts for OneMain Financial’s consolidation loans include:
- Credit card balances
- Medical bills
- Personal loans from other companies
- Payday loans
- Past due utilities
Debts that generally cannot be consolidated with OneMain include federal student loans, auto loans, and mortgages.
Getting the Best Interest Rate from OneMain
Borrowers can improve their chances of getting the lowest fixed interest rate by:
- Maintaining credit scores above 720
- Having a debt-to-income ratio under 30%
- Providing proof of steady income well above minimum requirements
- Bringing a creditworthy cosigner
- Putting up collateral if possible
Having these positive financial factors leads to the best rate offers from OneMain.
OneMain Financial Consolidation Loan Eligibility
To qualify for a OneMain debt consolidation loan, here are some of the primary eligibility requirements:
- Minimum credit score of 640
- Minimum annual income of $20,000
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Not currently in active bankruptcy
- Debt-to-income ratio under 50%
Meeting requirements does not guarantee approval. Strong credentials may result in lower interest rates.
Walkthrough of the Loan Application Process
Applying for a OneMain Financial consolidation loan is straightforward:
- Pre-qualify online or by phone to receive estimated rate offers without a hard credit inquiry.
- Choose between applying digitally or visiting a OneMain branch. Provide documents verifying income, expenses, and debts.
- If approved, you will receive loan terms including the repayment period, interest rate locked in, and required monthly payment amount.
- Review and sign your loan agreement if you wish to accept the offer.
- OneMain will pay off your debts directly and deposit any remaining amount into your bank account quickly.
Pros and Cons of OneMain Financial Consolidation Loans
- Lower monthly payment than paying debts separately
- Fixed interest rate for the loan duration
- Branch locations provide in-person service
- Fast access to funds if approved
- Minimum 640 credit score requirement
- Origination fees of 5-8% on top of interest
- Above 20% APR for many borrowers
- Missed payment penalty fees
OneMain vs. Other Top Debt Consolidation Lenders
Here is how OneMain Financial consolidation loans compare to some alternatives specifically on interest rates charged:
- OneMain Financial: 18.00% to 35.99% APR
- LendingClub: 8.05% to 35.89% APR
- Marcus by Goldman Sachs: 6.99% to 24.99% APR
- Lightstream: 3.49% to 19.99% APR
As you can see, those with good credit have chances for lower rates elsewhere, but OneMain is competitive.
Alternatives to Consider for Debt Consolidation
Some other debt consolidation options beyond OneMain Financial include:
- 0% APR balance transfer credit cards
- 401(k) or home equity loans
- Personal loans from credit unions
- Non-profit debt management plans
- Borrowing from family or friends
Each option has pros and cons to weigh based on your financial situation.
Is OneMain Financial Recommended for Debt Consolidation?
OneMain can be a solid choice for debt consolidation loans if you:
- Have a credit score in the 640-700 range
- Prefer handling financing through a local branch
- Need faster access to funds compared to alternatives
However, borrowers with great credit may find lower interest rates elsewhere. And other debt-relief options exist for those with scores below OneMain’s requirements.
OneMain Financial offers a national presence, fixed interest rates, and quick funding for eligible borrowers looking to consolidate debt.
Just be sure to compare across multiple lenders, as those with excellent credit likely will qualify for the lowest rates from competitors instead. But for those in the mid-credit score range, OneMain is a reputable option worth considering
CHECK THESE OUT:
- Guaranteed Debt Consolidation Loans for Bad Credit in 2023
- Consolidation Loan – How to Apply for a Debt Consolidation Loan
- How to Qualify for a Debt Consolidation Loan with Bad Credit
- Debt Consolidation – Is Debt Consolidation a Good Idea
- Top 10 Best Credit Saving Debt Consolidation Loans for Bad Debts