Are you a woman with a passion for photojournalism? Then this opportunity is for you. The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award is excited to announce her 2024 edition of Photojournalism Award.
IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award
The establishment of the Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award was intended to pay tribute to the remarkable life and contributions of Anja Niedringhaus, an acclaimed AP photographer who received the Pulitzer Prize and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award prior to her passing in 2014. Through this prestigious accolade, the IWMF honors the bravery and dedication demonstrated by women photojournalists, following in the footsteps of Anja.
This esteemed award acknowledges the profound significance of visual journalistic work, which serves as a catalyst for prompting active engagement and enhancing our comprehension of the world around us.
- Winners of the Courage in Photojournalism Award will be presented with a monetary prize of $20,000 and have their work featured at a special ceremony.
- This award is specifically available to women, nonbinary individuals, and those who identify as gender nonconforming within the field of journalism.
- The applicant must currently work as a full-time journalist, with journalism being their primary occupation.
- Both freelance journalists and those employed by media organizations are eligible to apply for this award.
- Level of photographic quality
- Arrangement and composition of the portfolio
- Candidate’s ability to effectively tell stories through their photography
- Challenging conditions in which the journalist worked
- Candidate’s statement and their personal perspective
- How well the portfolio reflects the values of Anja Niedringhaus.
Nomination and Application Guidelines
- To be considered for the Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award, please create a free Picter account and submit your work there. They have chosen Picter as their photography contest platform, and they are excited to collaborate with them.
- Each nomination and application should include candidate information, a series of 12 photographs as work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- Candidates can either nominate themselves or be nominated by an editor, mentor, or journalist peer. If you are nominating someone else, you can choose to submit a full application (including a statement and work samples) or fill out a shorter nomination form using Google Forms. By filling out the Google Form with the candidate’s information, they will be contacted by Anja to let them know that you have nominated them for the award. Please note that filling out the Google Form is not equivalent to submitting a full application through Picter, which is required for the jury’s consideration.
For Work Sample:
- The required work samples consist of 12 photographs that effectively showcase the candidate’s work, specifically within challenging reporting environments.
- It is essential to note that the entries for this competition must exclude videos, artistic photography, illustrations, watermarked images, collages with multiple photos, text superimposed on or adjacent to the photo, and pictures captured by someone other than the photographer. Entries containing these elements will not be considered.
- For image size, please ensure that each photograph has a minimum dimension of 1500px on the longest side, with a resolution of 72 dpi, and saved in JPG format.
- Every photograph must be accompanied by a caption providing information about the date, location, and situation captured.
- Out of the 12 photos, six must have been taken within the past two years (2022-2023). The remaining six can be selected from any point throughout the candidate’s career.
- Please keep in mind that only one award submission per photographer is allowed.
For further information on IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award visit IWMF Official website.
December 17, 2023.
More Related Content
- Dolly Parton Reportedly Gets $100 Million Grant from Jeff Bezos
- Carmignac Photojournalism Award 2023 (Up to €50,000 Grant) – APPLY NOW
- Carmignac Photojournalism Award 2022 – Apply Now!
- IWMF Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship 2024 for Journalists Globally – Apply Now
- IWMF Kim Wall Memorial Fund for Journalists 2024 (Up To $5,000 Grant) – APPLY NOW