Apply for the 2024 edition of the CERN Doctoral Student Programme if you’re a budding scientist or researcher with a passion for pushing the boundaries of human knowledge. Participating in this programme will enable you to work on groundbreaking experiments and contribute to the understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.
The CERN Doctoral Student Programme 2024 offers you a global platform for an unparalleled scientific adventure in Geneva, Switzerland. This is an extraordinary opportunity for students specializing in Applied Physics, Engineering, or Computing.
CERN Doctoral Student Programme 2024
Through this program, participants will get to immerse themselves in the epicenter of scientific discovery for up to 36 months. So, be it that you are already committed to a research subject or still exploring your options, CERN encourages you to take part In this program.
What is CERN?
CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is an institution dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of the universe. Here, physicists and engineers utilize the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the fundamental building blocks of matter.
Through the colliding of particles at nearly the speed of light, they gain valuable insights into particle interactions and the fundamental laws that govern our reality.
CERN Doctoral Student Programme – What to Expect
As a participant in the CERN Doctoral Student Programme, you will explore different fields including:
- Applied Physics
- Electricity, and mechanical engineering.
In addition, successful applicants will have the privilege of contributing their expertise to domains such as
- Instrumentation for accelerators,
- Materials science
- Radiation protection
- Safety, and environmental protection, among others.
To qualify for a place in the CERN Doctoral Student Programme, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen/ national of a CERN Member State.
- You should have commenced or be on the verge of starting a doctoral program at a university.
- Your work at CERN must be an integral part of the entirety of your thesis work needed to earn your PhD.
- Proficiency in English or French is required.
- Note: Students specializing in theoretical or experimental particle physics are not eligible for this program.
Benefits of participating in the CERN Doctoral Student Programme
Participating in the CERN Doctoral Student Programme comes with a host of advantages, these include :
- A 6-month initial contract, renewable for up to 3 years.
- The flexibility to spread the total period of up to 36 months over a maximum of four consecutive years.
- A monthly allowance of 3818 Swiss Francs (net of tax).
- Travel allowances.
- Supplementary benefits for married students and those with children.
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Participants will receive 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
Please note that CERN does not cover university-related costs or tuition fees.
How to Apply for CERN Doctoral Student Programme 2024?
To apply for CERN Doctoral Student Programme 2024, kindly ensure that you have the following documents, clearly labeled in English or French and in PDF format:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Your most recent academic transcript showing your marks.
- A reference letter from a University Professor.
- You can upload the reference letter yourself during the application process or have your referee submit it through a provided link.
- All application materials must reach CERN by November 6, 2023, at noon (12:00 CEST). Be prepared for the possibility of phone/video interviews or requests for additional information during the evaluation process.
- By mid-February 2024, the recruitment results will be communicated.
Complete the personal information and other details required
November 6, 2023.