The application process for the 2024 Emerging Scholar Awards is now open. Formerly known as the Harry Frank Guggenheim Dissertation Fellowships, these awards aim to acknowledge promising researchers who are in their final year of writing a doctoral dissertation focused on a significant aspect of violence. The Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards form is available now, hurry and apply.
The Foundation welcomes proposals from various disciplines within the natural and social sciences, as well as related fields, that have the potential to enhance our understanding of the causes, manifestations, and control of violence and aggression. Priority is given to research that addresses pressing contemporary issues related to violence, such as its origins, mechanisms, prevention, and mitigation.
A specified Area of Focus for the Award
The Foundation is interested in examining violence about various subjects, which include but are not limited to:
- Family and intimate partner relationships
- Climate instability and competition for natural resources
- Racial, ethnic, and religious conflicts
- Political extremism and nationalism
While the Foundation supports research into the fundamental mechanisms underlying violence, special consideration is given to proposals that convincingly demonstrate the potential relevance of their findings for policies aimed at reducing these societal problems. Additionally, historical research is considered if it directly relates to a present-day situation involving violence. Studies focusing on the consequences of violence are also welcome, provided a strong case is made linking these outcomes as causes of future violence.
- Candidates of any nationality who are currently enrolled in colleges or universities are encouraged to apply.
- To be eligible for the award, applicants must be Ph.D. candidates who are about to begin their dissertation stage of graduate study. Generally, this means that they have completed their fieldwork or other research and have started or will start writing their dissertation during the award period. If an applicant is unsure whether they will be able to complete their dissertation within the award year, it is advised not to apply.
- There are certain disciplines, specifically experimental fields, where it is reasonable to expect that research and writing can be completed within the same year. In such cases, it is appropriate to apply.
- The Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards provide $25,000 of financial support for one year. Specifically to assist a doctoral candidate in completing their dissertation promptly. Aligning with the Foundation’s research interests mentioned above. These awards are exclusively available to students during the final year of their PhD studies.
How To Apply For Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards 2024
- If you are interested in the Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards, you can submit your application online.
- To gain access to the application and guidelines, you must create an account. To create an account, please click on the provided
Visit the Harry Frank Guggenheim Emerging Scholar Awards Official website for further details on the Award.
- The deadline for submission of the Application is February 1, 2024.
- Final decisions regarding the awards will be made by the HFG Board of Directors during their meeting in June 2024.
- Usually, the awards begin on September 1. But if the project’s nature requires it, alternative starting dates after July 1 can be requested.
CHECK THESE OUT: