The STIAS Iso Lomso Fellowship 2024 is now accepting applications, offering a unique opportunity for scholars who have earned their doctoral degrees within the last seven years. The term “Iso Lomso” translates to ‘the eye of tomorrow’ in isiXhosa, capturing the essence of this fellowship; looking towards the future and laying the foundations for tomorrow’s groundbreaking research.
This Fellowship is offered by Stellenbosch University (SU), located in the Western Cape and a home to a vibrant community of 29,000 students and 3,000 permanent staff members. The University’s historic campus, adorned with oak-lined walkways, creates a unique atmosphere that attracts both local and international students.
Iso Lomso Fellowship 2024 Details
Aimed at African scholars holding academic positions at universities or research institutions across the continent, the Iso Lomso Fellowship provides a three-year attachment to STIAS (Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study).
The goal is to empower fellows in developing and conducting long-term research programs, paving their way to becoming established scholars in their respective fields.
Benefits of STIAS Iso Lomso Fellowship
- Fellows selected for the Iso Lomso program enjoy a myriad of benefits during their residency at STIAS:
- Economy Return Flight: Ensuring easy access for fellows to Stellenbosch.
- Accommodation: Comfortable living within walking distance from the institute.
- Fully Equipped Offices: Individual offices with a PC, telephone, and printer for focused research.
- Monthly Stipend: Financial support for daily living costs.
- Access to Resources: Utilization of Stellenbosch University library and high-speed internet.
- Engagement Opportunities: Participation in STIAS fellows’ program, seminars, lectures, and social events.
- Child Care Subsidy: Support for fellows with young children during their residency.
Eligibility Criteria for the Iso Lomso Fellowship
To be considered for the 2024 call, applicants must:
- Be a national of any African country.
- Have been born after the 1st of January 1981.
- Must be affiliated with a research or higher education institution in an African country.
- Hold a doctoral degree obtained after the 1st of January 2016 from a recognized higher education institution worldwide.
- Must have already completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD research program.
- Be ready to commence the first residency at STIAS in 2025.
The selection process for the Iso Lomso Fellowship is rigorous, emphasizing several key criteria such as:
- Academic Excellence: Evaluation of the applicant’s academic achievements.
- Innovation: Assessment of the project’s potential for new insights and knowledge production.
- Interdisciplinarity: Consideration of the project’s ability to draw from different disciplines.
- Relevance: Evaluation of the project’s significance for African scholarship.
- Feasibility: Examination of the research design and plan for its realism.
- During the final selection, additional factors such as gender representation, diversity of nationalities and disciplines, as well as participation in previous research projects and international experience, are given due consideration.
How to Apply for the Iso Lomso Fellowship 2024?
Follow the steps below to apply:
- Download the Application Form: Access the form via this link: https://stias.ac.za/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Iso-Lomso-Application-Form-2024-1.docx
- Prepare the Necessary Documents: Ensure your application includes a motivational cover letter, a pre-proposal for a three-year research project, recent writing examples, a copy of your doctoral certificate, an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae, and a letter of support from your home institution.
- Submit Your Application: Send the completed form and accompanying documents to the email address provided on the official STIAS website at http://stias.ac.za/fellowships/iso-lomso/
February 15, 2024.