The Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS), is inviting suitably qualified African Researchers to participate in the 2023 edition of the STIAS Individual Fellowship Program. STIAS is a global institution that provides an independent and innovative space for advancing science and scholarship across all disciplines.
With its African roots, STIAS embraces original thinking and encourages innovation in a diverse context. Kindly read on, as we will explore the STIAS Individual Fellowship Program for African researchers, its benefits, requirements, and application process.
STIAS Individual Fellowship Program
The STIAS Individual Fellowship Program offers a unique platform for researchers to engage in a multi-disciplinary discourse and contribute fresh perspectives.
The program is open to scholars from any country, academic background, or discipline. STIAS believes in fostering the cross-pollination of ideas and, as such, prefers projects that draw upon diverse fields while contributing to a broader academic dialogue.
Benefits of Participating in the STIAS Individual Fellowship Program
The program’s key benefit lies in its emphasis on multi-disciplinary research, allowing fellows to tap into various areas of knowledge and expertise.
- This approach enriches the overall research experience and nurtures a collaborative intellectual environment.
- Through facilitating diverse perspectives, STIAS encourages groundbreaking research and the generation of new knowledge.
Eligibility Criteria for STIAS Individual Fellowship Program
STIAS maintains an inclusive approach to fellowship invitations;
- It welcomes researchers from any country, academic background, or discipline to apply for the program.
- There are no restrictions on the origin of applicants.
- Fellows who have previously Participated in the Fellowship can re-apply to submit new applications. However, preference is given to first-time applicants during a five-year cycle.
Selection Criteria for STIAS Individual Fellowship Program
Academic excellence and the originality of the research proposals are the basis on which selections are made. Several criteria guide the selection process:
- Level: The proposed research must aim for the highest level of academic excellence.
- Innovation: Projects should break new ground and have the potential to produce fresh insights and knowledge.
- Interdisciplinarity: Emphasize the integration of different disciplines and propose a methodology to facilitate interdisciplinary discourse.
- Relevance: Consider the project’s significance for South Africa and Africa, aligning with the institute’s goals.
- Feasibility: Ensure a compelling research design and a realistic plan to carry out the proposed project.
Timeline for STIAS Individual Fellowship Program Applications
STIAS accepts fellowship applications on a semester-deadline basis.
- For the first semester of 2025 (mid-January to mid-June), applications can be submitted before October 31, 2023, with the results of the cohort selection available in March 2023.
- For the second semester of 2025 (mid-June to mid-December), applications can be submitted before April 30, 2024, and the results of the cohort selection will be available in September 2023.
Documents Required for Application
Applicants must provide the following documents for their fellowship application:
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- List of publications, if applicable.
- One or two recent articles related to the proposed project.
- Project title and description (2-4 pages) outlining the planned work and expected outcomes.
- A 200 words maximum of the proposed project accessible to readers from outside the candidate’s specific discipline.
- A brief note on how the applicant learned about the STIAS program.
Interested and qualified researchers can apply via email or mail. Preferred submission is via email in PDF format to [email protected]. Or,
Applicants can send the above-listed documents via mail to Ms. Gudrun Schirge, STIAS Senior Programme Administrator, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602, South Africa.
For more details, visit the STIAS official website at: https://stias.ac.za/fellowships/individual/
The application deadline for the STIAS Individual Fellowship Program is October 31, 2023.