Applications are open for the Mongabay French Language Fellowship Program 2023. Mongabay is initiating a fellowship program in French that aims to offer paid opportunities to young and aspiring journalists from tropical countries. The objective of this program is to provide fellows with valuable work experience at an international news outlet, enhance their skills in environmental reporting, and enable them to build a portfolio of original publications.
Mongabay French Language Fellowship Program 2023
To oversee this program, Mongabay is seeking a full-time Fellowship Editor who will be responsible for working closely with fellows to develop their story ideas and assisting with editing French content from Mongabay’s African news bureau.
The main responsibilities of the Fellowship Editor include managing Mongabay’s French-language fellowship program in Africa. This involves overseeing the application process, selecting and onboarding fellows in collaboration with other Mongabay staff, guiding fellows in publishing their work on Mongabay’s French-language website, fostering collaboration between fellows and Mongabay editors, and providing support to Mongabay’s newsroom by copyediting and spot editing articles.
Responsibilities And Key Roles
Editing, Writing, Reporting, Publishing (80% Of Time)
- Review and evaluate fellowship applications to select participants for the program in a systematic manner.
- Orient fellows, familiarizing them with Mongabay’s policies, procedures, and editorial standards.
- Develop training materials for journalism and provide ongoing guidance to fellows on journalistic practices and storytelling approaches.
- Assign, edit, and publish a minimum of six French-language journalistic articles per fellow, covering topics related to environmental science and conservation.
- Manage story assignments and uphold publication deadlines.
- Collaborate effectively with Mongabay’s team of editors and writers to establish comprehensive editorial coverage plans, encompassing news stories, and features, and ensuring consistently high-quality content.
- Conduct interviews, phone calls, meetings, and conduct research as necessary to gather background information for story planning and article series.
- Thoroughly research, fact-check, and review articles before their publication.
- Assist fellows, contributors, and staff in sourcing and producing visual content such as charts, maps, photos, and videos for each article.
- Support the assignment and editing process for stories produced outside the fellowship program.
- Offer additional assistance as required to ensure that the content maintains Mongabay’s stringent standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
Strategic Planning & Administration (20%)
- Provide regular progress reports to the Africa Program Director at Mongabay, regarding the achievement of reporting objectives.
- Aid in the editorial planning process to ensure the fulfillment of production targets set for the fellowship program.
- Gather data on the outcomes and effects of the fellowship program through participant surveys, as well as by tracking examples of republication of fellows’ stories, which can be utilized in grant reports.
- Demonstrate the ability to work efficiently within strict deadlines, promptly responding to communications from Mongabay.com headquarters and other Mongabay team members via email, Skype, Asana, phone, and messaging platforms.
- Mongabay strives to provide competitive compensation packages that will effectively attract, retain, and motivate our full-time employees. When submitting your application, please include a desired pay range.
To partake in this opportunity, you have to meet the following requirements:
- Three or more years of experience in journalism, editing, or writing is necessary, with a preference for environmental journalism.
- Proficiency in French is mandatory, both in written and spoken form. English proficiency is highly desirable.
- A strong understanding and knowledge of conservation and environmental topics are vital.
- Demonstrated expertise in editing and formatting various types of content, including feature articles, graphics, photo captions, and HTML.
- Experience collaborating with journalists whose native language is not French is highly valued.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar platforms), Google Drive, and Asana (or a comparable project management system).
- Accessing high-speed internet consistently is crucial and cannot be compromised.
- Willingness to commit to a full-time position of 40 hours per week and be available during regular business hours.
How to Apply For Mongabay French Language Fellowship Program 2023
- To apply for the position, please complete the online application by clicking on the provided link. Applications are accepted continuously until the position is filled.
- The application will require you to provide basic contact information, state your expected pay rate, provide two references, and upload the following documents:
- Cover letter: Please include specific examples of your relevant experience for this role, as well as your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages).
- Resume: A detailed summary of your qualifications and work history (1-2 pages).
- Two references: Include the contact information of two individuals who can speak about your professional abilities. It is not necessary to submit reference letters at this stage, and they will not contact your references without obtaining your permission.
- You have the option to submit your application in either French or English.
For further details visit the official website.
On Rolling Basis.