So, you’ve been working in Canada, and your work permit is about to expire, your work permit is the legal document that grants you the right to work legally in Canada. It must be valid while you are working, In Canada (and many other countries), you are not allowed to work with an expired work permit.
If your work permit is about to expire, you have to extend it before it expires, you can initiate the extension process weeks before it expires, this will allow you the time to get an extension before the expiring date of your current permit.
How to Extend My Work Permit in Canada
Ready to initiate the extension process? Below is how to extend your work permit in Canada.
Check if You are Eligible for an Extension
Before you start the application process, you need to ensure that you’re eligible for a work permit extension. Generally, you may be eligible for an extension if:
- You still have a job offer from a Canadian employer.
- Your current work permit is still valid.
- You have complied with all the conditions of your previous work permit.
- You are not inadmissible to Canada for any reason.
If you meet all the conditions for an extension, you can proceed to apply for an extension through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.
Documents Required for Work Permit Extension in Canada
To extend your work permit, you need to gather several documents. These documents typically include:
- Job offer letter: A letter from your Canadian employer confirming your job offer and the terms of your employment.
- Proof of employment: Your proof of employment showing your employment history and contributions to the Canadian workforce.
- Valid passport: You must have a valid passport at the time of applying for an extension, your application will not be approved if your passport is approaching its expiration date.
- Proof of financial support: You also need your bank statement or pay stub to demonstrate your ability to support yourself during your extended stay.
- Completed application form: You need to download and fill out the appropriate application form accurately.
Choose the Right Application Method
There are different ways to apply for a work permit extension in Canada, depending on your situation, you can apply online or offline.
- Online application: This is arguably the most convenient method of applying for a work permit extension. To do this, you need to create an account on the IRCC website, fill out the necessary forms, and submit your documents electronically.
- Paper application: If you prefer the traditional route, you can download the application package from the IRCC website, fill it out, and mail it to the specified address.
Pay the fees
In Canada, work permit extensions usually come with a processing fee. Make sure you pay the correct fee according to your situation and the method of application. If you applied online, you can make payment online through the IRCC website.
Wait for processing
Once you have submitted your application and paid the fees, all that’s left to do is wait. The processing times can vary, but you can check the status of your application online through the IRCC website.
If you applied offline, you can contact Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada and request the status of your application. Whether you applied online or offline, you need to be patient during this period and avoid making any travel plans until your new work permit has been approved.
In Canada, work permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). And you need to apply for an extension before your current permit expires to avoid any legal complications. To extend your permit, gather all the necessary documents. Choose the right application method, pay the fees, and wait for a decision.
CHECK THESE OUT: