If you wish to work in Canada, you need not just your visa (which allows you to enter Canada) but also, a work permit. A work permit is an official document issued by the government of a country (in this case, Canada) that allows foreign nationals (like you) to work legally within that country for a specific period.
How do I Renew my Expired Work Permit in Canada?
Your work permit grants you permission to engage in employment activities and earn a living in Canada, without your work permit, you cannot work in Canada unless you have an exemption. The purpose of a work permit is to “regulate the entry and employment of foreign workers while ensuring that the job market and labor standards of the host country are not negatively impacted”.
In Canada, the validity of your work permit determines how long you can work legally. Your work permit comes with specific start and end dates. These dates outline the period during which you are allowed to work legally in Canada. If at the end of the date (your work permit expires), you need to renew it to continue working in Canada.
It is illegal to work with an expired work permit, if found, you will face the law, and you can be deported, we know you don’t want that.
Can a Canadian work permit be renewed?
Yes, a Canadian work permit can be renewed. If you wish to continue working in Canada after your current work permit expires, you can apply for a renewal, provided you still meet the eligibility criteria for the specific work permit category.
You need to apply for the renewal before your current work permit expires to maintain legal status and continue working without interruptions.
The magic number here is 30 days. You can apply for a renewal up to 30 days before your current work permit expires. Remember, if you wait too long, you might need to reapply from scratch.
How do I renew my expired work permit in Canada?
Renewing an expired work permit is just like applying for a new work permit. Once renewed, it allows you to continue working legally in Canada.
Gather your documents
To start the renewal process, collect all the required documents, the documents include:
- Expired Work Permit: Keep a copy of your expired work permit.
- Passport: Ensure your passport is valid for the entire duration of the new work permit.
- Job Offer: If you’re continuing with the same job, have a letter from your employer confirming your job offer.
- LMIA (if needed): If your job requires a Labor Market Impact Assessment, include a copy.
- Updated CV: Provide an updated resume with your recent work experience.
Complete the application
You can apply for renewal online
- Visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.
- Find the Application to Change Conditions, extend my Stay, or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5710)
- Fill out the form carefully, answering all questions accurately.
- Pay the required application fee online.
Create an online account
- Create an account on the IRCC website (if you don’t have one).
- Follow the instructions to submit your application online.
- Upload all required documents (make sure that all the documents are clear and readable before submitting them).
When you apply online, make sure you fill in all the information accurately and truthfully. Double-check the details before submitting your application to avoid any errors or delays. Even a small mistake could cause unnecessary complications in the processing of your renewal.
You should have done this during your first application but if asked, visit a local Application Support Center (ASC) to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and photo). Pay the biometrics fee if needed.
Wait for the processing
Once you’ve submitted your application and paid the fees, wait for IRCC to process your application. You can check your application status online using your account.
Medical exam (if needed)
If your work permit expired more than 90 days ago, you might need a medical exam. If requested by IRCC, follow the instructions to get the medical exam done by an approved panel physician.
IRCC will review your application and may ask for more information if necessary. If they ask for more information, ensure you respond promptly and provide any additional documents or details they requested for.
Wait for a decision
IRCC will inform you about their decision through your online account or email address. If your application is approved, they will send you a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction.
Travel outside Canada (if applicable)
If you’re outside Canada when your work permit is approved, you’ll need the POE Letter of Introduction to return. Show this letter to the immigration officer when you arrive in Canada.
Get the new work permit
- Once you’re in Canada, go to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) office at a port of entry.
- Show your POE Letter of Introduction, passport, and any requested documents.
- The officer will issue your new work permit.
- Make sure the new work permit has the correct details before you leave.
Update your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
If your work permit was linked to your SIN, update your SIN information at a Service Canada office.
Keep important documents
Keep a copy of your new work permit, POE Letter of Introduction, and any other documents as proof of your legal status in Canada.
IRCC updates its process from time to time, you must follow the instructions from the IRCC website and provide accurate information throughout the process.
If you’re unsure about anything, consider seeking assistance from IRCC, you can contact them through email, or you can also seek assistance from a reputable immigration consultant.
How long does it take to renew a work permit in Canada?
The processing time to renew a work permit in Canada can vary. On average, it may take around 3 to 4 months for the renewal to be processed.
However, processing times can be influenced by the type of work permit, the volume of applications received by IRCC, your location, and whether additional information is needed from you.
How much does it cost to renew an open work permit in Canada?
It cost CAD 155 to renew an open work permit in Canada. This fee might change over time, so you need to check the official Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up-to-date information on work permit renewal fees. Furthermore, there could be additional fees for services like biometrics.
The process involved in renewing your work permit in Canada isn’t as complicated as it might seem. If you follow the steps here, you can easily renew your work permit.
Remember to gather your documents before you start the renewal process. Having all the necessary paperwork ready, such as your expired work permit, passport, job offer letter, and any required supporting documents, will help streamline your application.
More Related Content
- How to Get Credits on Audible
- Visitor Visa Portal Canada – How to Apply for a Canadian Visitor Visa
- How to Get a Canadian Work Visa – Apply Now for Canada Work Permit at www.canada.ca
- Canada Tech Talent Recruitment Plan – APPLY NOW
- How To Sell Products on Facebook Marketplace – How To Renew Your Listing On Marketplace