If you want to discover how to Get a Canadian Work Visa, this article is for you. Canada stands out among so many nations, living and working in Canada is considered by so many people as a very good proposition because of the excellent educational system, high standard of living, and most importantly, the quality of life.
How to Get a Canadian Work Visa
Canada has been a very accommodating country even before the pandemic, welcoming up to 200,000 foreign workers every year. If you are interested in living in this amazing nation, the information contained in this article is what you need.
THIS WOULD INTEREST YOU: Types of Canadian Visa and The One you Need – Canada Visa Application
What is a Canada Work Visa?
This is also known as the Canada work permit. It is a written authorization issued by the Canadian authorities that allows a foreign citizen to reside and work in Canada for a period of time.
This document is usually issued based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) or based on an Offer of Employment from an LMIA-exempt employer. The permit is still required even if the employer does not reside in Canada.
How to Get Canada Work Permit
To get a Canada Visa or Canada work permit, you must apply for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or a Canadian visa office. This should be done before you travel down to Canada from your home country.
To make it easier for you to get a work permit when you have received a job offer from a Canadian employee.
Am I Eligible for the Canada work Visa?
To be eligible for the Visa, you have to prove the following:
- Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires.
- You should provide evidence that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada.
- Obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to give a police clearance certificate).
- Be in good health and submit clinical results that show you are healthy.
- Also, you should not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions.
With the list above, you should be able to determine if you are qualified to apply for a Work Visa.
Types of Canadian Work Visas
The Canadian work permit comes in the two categories and they include:
Open Work Permits
This type of permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada except those who;
- Are listed as ineligible or failed to comply with the conditions.
- Regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, erotic massages, or escort services.
This work permit is more difficult to get.
Employer Specific-Work Permits
This type of permit only allows you to work according to the conditions of your work permit, which include.
- The name of the employer you can work for.
- The location you are permitted to work in.
- How long you can work.
You need a copy of your employment contract to apply for this visa.
THIS WOULD INTEREST YOU: How to Immigrate to Canada as an Electrical Engineer – Work in Canada
Documents Required for Canada Work Permit – Work permit Canada Requirements
Other important documents you must provide for this application includes:
- A valid passport or travel document that guarantees you re-entry to the country or territory that issued it.
Two (2) photos of yourself and accompanying family members that meet the Visa application photograph specifications.
- You must send proof of immigration status if you are not a citizen of the country you are applying.
- If the government that issued your passport or travel document requires a re-entry permit, you must receive it before you apply for a work permit.
You may need to send some more documents and this would be stated during the application process.
Complete Guide on Canada Work Permit Visa Application Process
The application process for this Work permit has been broken down into simpler steps in this article to make it easier. Go through this section of the article to learn how to apply.
Get the following details ready before you start the application process:
- Your Offer of Employment number. This should be provided by your employer.
- A copy of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC (your employer should give this to you), and a copy of an employment contract from your future employer.
- Proof that you are eligible for the job. This can be in the form of a Canadian provincial or territorial trade certificate, educational requirements, or past work experience outlined in a resume.
- A copy of the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI), if you plan to work in Quebec or will be working in Quebec. If you do not need an LMIA you will usually not need a CAQ.
How to Apply for Canada Work Visa at www.canada.ca
The online application for the Canada Work Permit must be carried out on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Page. After you have filled the forms above, you can proceed to apply on the IRCC page with the steps below:
- Visit the IRCC official web page with the URL www.canada.ca
- Click on your Preferred Language (English or French).
- Click on “Immigration and Citizenship” on the page
- Under the categories, choose “Work”.
- Navigate to “Get a work Permit” and click on it.
- Choose “Temporary workers” and click on “Apply for a work permit”.
- Select “How to Apply”.
- Choose where you are applying from under the drop-down menu. (This is your home country ie Australia, Nigeria, Netherlands, etc.).
- Read through the questions and indicate the appropriate answer.
- After this, click on “Get Application to work in Canada”.
- Choose how you want to apply “online” or “Paper”.
- Choose your Country.
- Carefully read through the instructions on the page and click on “Create Account or Sign In”.
The next page you would be redirected to would help you create an account on the IRCC website. After this, you can proceed to fill out the necessary forms.
Fill the Necessary Forms
The following forms must be completed:
- Application For Work Permit Made Outside of Canada.
- Document Checklist.
- Family Information.
- Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (if it applies to you).
- Use of a Representative (if it applies to you).
- Authority to release personal information to a designated individual.
Proof of Relationship
- You may need to provide a marriage certificate and birth certificates for any accompanying family members.
- If you are in a common-law relationship and your common-law partner will come with you to Canada, you must fill out the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409). Send proof listed on the form to support your relationship.
Pay the Required Fees
You may need to pay three separate fees as follows:
- an application processing fee;
- an open work permit holder fee;
- a biometric fee.
All these payments can be made online on the IRCC official web page after you have submitted your application. After the application online, you would be required to go for an interview with the IRCC officials in your home country or provide more details.
How to Know if your Canada Work Visa Application has been Approved
If your application has been approved, you will receive a letter of approval. This letter would state that you have been permitted to work in Canada. This letter is to be presented at the Canadian port of entry and is called the “port of entry letter of introduction”.
The letter is different from the Canada work permit and you would receive the work permit the day you arrive in Canada. Normally, the work permit contains your job, the duration you can work for, your employer, and where you can work.
List of Countries Eligible for the Canada Work Visa
If you are a citizen of any of the countries listed below, you are eligible for the Canada Work visa application.
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Burkina Faso
- Burma (Myanmar)
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Cameroon, Republic of
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Costa Rica
- Ivory Coast
- Korea, North
- Macao Special Administrative Region
- Maldives Islands
- Marshall Islands
- Palestinian Authority
- Sao Tomé e Principe
- Saudi Arabia, Kingdom of
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines (St. Vincent)
- Micronesia, Fed. States
- Trinidad and Tobago
Some of the countries listed above require special documents for the Visa application. If you need to submit any special document, it would be stated when you enter your country during the online application.
THIS WOULD INTEREST YOU: US Visa Lottery 2022 Eligible Countries – US Visa Lottery Requirements | DV Lottery…
What is the Age Limit for a work visa in Canada?
To apply for a work visa in Canada, you should be at least 18 years of age. This is because you would be considered a minor if you are below this age.
How long will the Canada Visa Application Process Take?
The Canada Visa application process takes a few weeks to several months to be completed and this depends majorly on your eligibility, nationality, and other factors.
Is Canada Issuing Work Visas now?
Yes, a lot of foreigners have been granted work permits to move to this country and work and this is on the basis that they meet the requirements.
How Long is the Validity Period of Canada’s work Visa?
Sometimes, work permits can be valid for one to two years. For a Canadian work permit, the validity can change according to the expiry of the worker‘s passport or travel document. A work permit cannot be issued for a period longer than the validity of the holder‘s passport.
Is the Canada work Visa Extendable?
Yes, you can extend your work permit from inside the country. You can apply for an extension of 30 days before your current permit expires. Note that you cannot extend your work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport.
Who is Eligible to work in Canada?
If you are a permanent resident or green card holder you can work in Canada freely. To work in Canada as a foreigner, you need to obtain a work visa or permit.
Is it Easy to get a Canadian Work Visa?
It’s not hard as it looks to get a Canadian work visa. All you need to process much easier is full support from your employer and all the required documents. Though the process may take a while, the chances of you getting approved will be increased.
Can I get a Work Visa for Canada without a Job Offer?
You can only apply for a work visa when you already have a job offer. This is because your employer would play a major role in sponsoring your Visa. Hence to apply for a work visa, you should first have a job offer.
How can I get a job offer in Canada?
You should make good use of the platform “moving2canada.com” to search for Canadian Jobs you qualify for. Also, make sure your CV is up to the standard that Canadian companies require. A good cover letter would also do and would increase your chances of getting a job offer.
- Canada Visa Application – Canada Visa Application Requirement for Minors
- Best Inflatable Hot Tubs – How to Choose the Best Inflatable Hot Tub
- Duke MyChart – Sign Up Login use Activation Code Online at www.dukemychart.org
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Revealed in a New Trailer
- Android 13 Beta 3 Released and It’s a Huge Milestone