The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship program 2023 fully funded is one of three Master’s programs offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission. Applications for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for the 2023/24 academic year are now open.
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK (CSC) provides the UK government scholarship scheme led by international development objectives.
It operates within the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) framework and offers a vivid demonstration of the UK’s enduring commitment to the Commonwealth.
By attracting individuals with outstanding talent and identifiable potential from all backgrounds and supporting them to become leaders and innovators upon returning to their home countries.
The CSC’s work combines sustainable development with the UK national interest and provides opportunities for international partnerships and collaboration
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are for candidates from eligible low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, the aim is for them to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university.
Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Criteria
Candidates must apply and secure admission to study an approved Master’s course at a participating UK university in addition to applying for a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship via the CSC’s online application system. View the full list of approved courses here. View details of all participating UK universities here
Candidates can apply for more than one course and to more than one university. However, they may only accept one offer of a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship. Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are only for Master’s courses and not undergraduate or PhD studies.
Candidates should check their chosen university for specific advice on when to apply, admission requirements, and rules for applying.
Depending on the application deadlines of chosen UK universities and courses, candidates may need to complete their university application before or after they submit their Commonwealth Shared Scholarship application. The CSC does not accept any applications that are not submitted via the CSC’s online application system.
Also, Commonwealth Shared Scholarship applications will be shared with UK universities, who will nominate their chosen candidates to receive a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship in March 2023. The CSC will check to see that the candidates nominated to meet the CSC’s eligibility criteria.
Universities are to inform candidates if they have successfully been awarded a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship by July 2023.
Candidates are advised to complete and submit their Commonwealth Shared Scholarship application as early as possible as the CSC’s online application system will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline.
- Proof that the applicant is a citizen or has refugee status in an eligible Commonwealth country. For instance; a copy of a valid passport (or national ID card) showing a photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship
- Full transcripts detailing all higher education qualifications, including to-date transcripts for any courses currently being studied, with certified translations in English.
- If any of the required documentation is not provided by the closing date, the application will be considered ineligible.
- The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
Please note that the CSC does not charge candidates to apply for any of its Scholarships or Fellowships through its online application system and does not charge organizations to nominate candidates.
Countries Eligible for the Scholarship
Only candidates from the eligible countries listed below can apply for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships in 2023/24.
Bangladesh, Belize, Botswana, Cameroon, Dominica, Eswatini, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Togo, Tonga, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia.
- Each participating UK University will conduct its recruitment process to select a specified number of candidates to be awarded Commonwealth Shared Scholarships.
- Universities must put forward their selected candidates to the CSC in March 2023.
- The CSC will confirm if these candidates meet the eligibility criteria for the program.
- Universities will inform candidates of their results by July 2023.
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are jointly funded by the CSC and participating UK universities. Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from the Scholar’s home country to the UK and return at the end of their Scholarship.
Note that the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor the cost of journeys made before the award is confirmed funded by the CSC.
- Approved tuition fees: Full fees are covered by an agreement between the CSC and the UK university, and Scholars are not liable to pay for any part of the tuition fee.
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,236 per month, or £1,516 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area – paid and funded by the university.
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable – paid and funded by the university.
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC.
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC.
- Contribution towards the cost of mandatory tuberculosis (TB) test, where required for a visa application (receipts must be supplied) – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC
- Allowance; If Scholars have children and are widowed, divorced, or single parents, a child allowance of £529 per month for the first child, and £131 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16. Also, if Scholars are accompanied by their children and living with them at the same address in the UK – rates quoted at the current level remain.
- If Scholars share that they have a disability, a full assessment of their needs and eligibility for additional financial support will be offered by the CSC.
- The CSC’s family allowances are intended to only be used as a contribution towards the cost of maintaining a Scholar’s family in the UK. The actual prices are likely to be considerably higher. Scholars must be able to supplement these allowances to support any family members who come to the UK with them.
For more information regarding the scholarship click here
The closing date for Commonwealth Shared Scholarship is the 13th of December 2022 at 16:00 GMT.
Applications for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships must be made using the CSC’s online application system. Click here to apply
Does Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Require an IELTS Test?
The CSC does not require any candidates to take an IELTS (English language) test. However, as a further condition of the Scholarship, candidates may be required by their university to provide evidence of a particular level of English language proficiency.
What does the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Cover?
Commonwealth Shared Scholarship covers fees, approved fares, and personal maintenance. Other scholarships, awards, or bursaries that cover the same costs may not be held concurrently.
Can Candidates Stay Back to Look for Jobs at the End of the Program?
Candidates will be required to sign an undertaking to return to their home country as soon as possible after the end of their award, this is because candidates are expected to return to their countries at the end of the program and not to stay back.
CHECK THIS OUT:
- University of Waterloo Scholarships 2023 in Canada Fully Funded – Apply Now!
- University of Bayreuth BIGSAS Scholarships 2023 – Apply Now!
- University of Glasgow James McCune Smith PhD Scholarships 2023 for International Students – APPLY…
- Mauritius Africa Scholarships 2022/2023 for Deserving African Students – Apply Now!
- University of Dundee Steve Weston and Trust International Scholarship – Apply Now!
- Cape Breton University Entrance Scholarships 2023 – Apply Now!