The 2024 edition of the SADC Media Awards Competition, is now open! The Southern African Development Community (SADC) Media Awards program was founded in the year 1996 to recognize the best media work in disseminating information on SADC towards supporting the process of regional cooperation and integration.
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is a Regional Economic Community with up to 16 Member States. These member states include; Comoros, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, and the United Republic of Tanzania.
SADC itself was established in 1992, with a commitment to Regional Integration and poverty eradication within Southern Africa through economic development and ensuring peace and security.
SADC Media Awards Categories
Entries are invited from the following categories:
- Print Journalism: Comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, websites, and magazines. Submissions should have a minimum of 100 and a maximum of 2,000 words.
- Radio Journalism: Comprising broadcast material. Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of one minute and a maximum of thirty minutes. The Entries must be attached with a soft copy of the transcript in Word format for translation purposes.
- Television Journalism: Comprising televised material. Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of one minute and a maximum of forty-five minutes.
- Photojournalism: Comprising published pictures with a caption. Photographic entries should have one photo or a pictorial spread of not more than twenty photos published in one issue/edition. Each entry must include the original newspaper in which the photo(s) were published.
Benefits of SADC Media Awards 2024
The first prize winner in each of the four categories mentioned above will receive up to US$2,500
The runner-up receives US$1,000. Please note that this prize is not only a recognition of your talent but also a financial boost.
Eligibility requirements for SADC Media Awards
Would you like to participate in this competition, if yes, you must meet the eligibility requirements below to be considered eligible:
- Candidates must be journalists from the SADC Member States.
- Entries are expected to have been published/broadcast between January and December of the year preceding the awards (2023) by a registered or
- An authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States.
- The entries theme must center on issues and activities that promote Regional Integration in the SADC region, such as infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
- Media practitioners who are SADC nationals are allowed to participate in the competition, however, those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff, are not included
- Prospective Submissions should be in one of the SADC working languages (English, Portuguese, French), or another SADC Region national language
- The works must be submitted together with the transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e. English, French, and Portuguese.
How to Apply for the SADC Media Awards Competition 2024
- Qualified Candidates should submit their entries only on the SADC Media Award Entry Form via this link: http://www.sadc.int/sites/default/files/2023-10/Entry%20form-English.docx.doc
- The submissions should contain full contact details of the entrant, including, a passport-sized photograph, physical address, telephone, and fax number and e-mail address (where applicable)
- For more details and to access the Entry Form, please visit the SADC website at https://www.sadc.int/latest-news/official-launch-2024-sadc-media-awards#:~:text=The%20SADC%20Media%20Awards%20are,held%20in%20Republic%20of%20Zimbabwe.
The application deadline for the SADC Media Awards 2024 is February 29, 2024.
CHECK THESE OUT:
- Tech Experts Will Address the Climate Challenge at COP28
- Mercy Corps Ventures Climate Tech Facility 2023 (Equity-free Grants of $100,00) – APPLY NOW
- University of Southern California: What GPA do you need to get into USC?
- USC Campus – University of Southern California Rank and Admission Details
- University of Southern California (USC) Acceptance Rate 2023