The University of Ghana is a prestigious higher education institution located in Accra, the capital city of Ghana. It is recognized as one of the leading universities in Africa and has a rich history dating back to its establishment in 1948.
The university offers a wide range of academic programs across various disciplines including arts and sciences, social sciences, business, engineering, law, medicine, and many others. It is dedicated to offering high-quality education as well as fostering research and innovation.
The university has a total enrollment of about 67914 students with an acceptance rate of 28% making it moderately competitive. To be eligible for admission to UG, prospects are advised to strife to attain at least a Credit (A1 – C6) in WASEC or A-D in SSCE, especially in core mathematics or English.
About the University Of Ghana
The University of Ghana is a public research institution in Accra, Ghana. It is the most prestigious, oldest, and largest of Ghana’s thirteen public institutions.
In the British colony of the Gold Coast, the institution was formed in 1948 as the institution College of the Gold Coast. It was founded as an affiliate college of the University of London, which oversaw its academic programs and granted degrees. The college was renamed the University College of Ghana after Ghana attained independence in 1957.
When it received full university status in 1961, it renamed itself the University of Ghana. The University of Ghana is located on the west side of the Accra Legon Hills, northeast of Accra’s central business district. It has around 60,000 students enrolled.
University of Ghana(UG) Admission Entry Requirements 2023/2024
Applicants for admission to a degree programme at the University of Ghana must possess the following criteria
- At least credits (A1 – C6 in WASSCE and A – D in SSSCE)both in English and Core Mathematics
- For Science related programmes Candidates should possess a minimum of Credits(A1-C6 in WASSCE and A-D in SSSCE)
- For non-science related programs, candidates must have at least a Credits of A1-C6 in WASSCE and A-D in SSSCE
- Applicants applying to Science or Agriculture related disciplines must have three elective subjects in Science or in General Arts/Business for applicants applying to non-science related disciplines, with the total aggregate not exceeding 24.
- Science applicants must possess at least a Credit (C6) in WASSCE and (D) in SSSCE in Social Studies/Life Skills.
- Non-science applicants should also have at least a Credit (C6) in WASSCE and (D) in SSSCE in Integrated Science/Core Science.
University of Ghana Evaluation Criteria
- To qualify for UG’s admission process, Applicants must be sixteen (16) years old or older.
- Inconsistency in name or photo on registration slip is unacceptable to the university and may result in disqualification of affected candidates.
- Candidates’ names on their ‘O’ or ‘A’ Level certificates and other registration documents must be the same.
- A change of program after the application forms have been submitted will not be permitted.
- After submitting the completed application forms, no additional papers will be accepted.
- Candidates must register using their own legitimate personal telephone (GSM) numbers and email addresses.
- Applicants must ensure that application forms are uploaded early enough so that they arrive before the submission date since applications submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
- Applicants who are awaiting SSCE or comparable results may apply for admission as long as the results are available at the time it is needed.
- Because registration is done online, candidates are not required to be physically present on the university campus but are encouraged to do so from any location.
University of Ghana Application process
- For further information about UG Admission requirements, visit https://admission.ug.edu.gh/applying/