The Nigeria Artificial Intelligence Research Scheme seeks to empower the Future through Innovation and Digital Transformation. This is a golden opportunity for researchers and start-ups to receive support towards accelerating their research and development efforts.
The Nigeria Artificial Intelligence Research Scheme is an initiative that aims to promote a sustainable AI ecosystem in Nigeria through financial support, facilitating knowledge sharing and collaboration among individuals and organizations in the AI industry.
Nigeria Artificial Intelligence Research Scheme – What to Expect
The program will offer financial support to about 45 successfully selected candidates. This financial support is worth up to N5,000,000 for each of the participating AI researchers or start-ups in eligible areas including but not limited to the following:
- Health Care
- Education & Workforce,
- Utility and
- Sponsored by: FMCIDE/NITDA
- Host Institution: NITDA
- Award Amount: Up to N5,000,000 each
- Number of Awards: Several
- Eligibility: Researchers and Start-ups
- Nationality: Nigerians
- Deadline: November 15, 2023.
Eligibility Criteria for the Nigeria Artificial Intelligence Research Scheme
Only Applicants who meet the following conditions are eligible for this program:
- The program is open to a consortium that includes a start-up or technology company, a Nigerian academic researcher, or a foreign researcher
- A research proposal that aligns with the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy’s AI priority areas, is required
- Applicants are expected to present a detailed proposal showing the project and its potential impact on the Nigerian economy
- Candidates should have a track record of excellence in research or entrepreneurship
- Have the ability to publish a minimum of one peer-reviewed article within one year of receiving the grant.
The program will have a panel of AI experts who will review all the grant applications. Generally, the selection criteria will include the following:
- Originality of the research proposal
- A track record of excellence in research or entrepreneurship of Candidates
- The extent of alignment of the research with the Ministry’s AI priority areas
- Feasibility of the project
To apply for the Nigeria Artificial Intelligence Research Scheme, all the eligible candidates should follow these steps:
- Go to the online application page at https://airg.nitda.gov.ng/index.php/apply-here/ to apply
- Subsequently, all the submitted proposals will be evaluated by a panel of AI experts
- After which shortlisted candidates will be notified via email and;
- Invited for an interview. Those whose interviews are successful will be notified via email
- For more details about this program, kindly visit the official website at https://airg.nitda.gov.ng/
November 15, 2023.