The International Court of Justice has announced the Application Call for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023/2024. The Organization is inviting Eligible Applicants from recognized universities to apply.
The ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme previously referred to as the University Traineeship Programme, was established in 1999 to enable recent law graduates to gain professional experience working at the ICJ.
The Fellowship Programme was created with the aim to improve participants’ understanding of public international law and also an understanding of the Court’s procedures. This is achieved by allowing active involvement in the work of the Court.
Successful fellows will work on a full-time basis under the supervision of a Member of the Court and alongside the primary legal assistant of the judge. Fellows will be allowed to attend the Court’s public hearings, research and write memorandums on legal questions or factual aspects of the cases pending before the Court, and perform other duties assigned by their judge.
Summary of the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme
- Type: Postgraduate
- Organization: International Court of Justice
- Country: Netherlands
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: February 5, 2023
- Duration: Approximately Ten months, from early September to June of the following year.
- Number of Participants: 15
About the International Court of Justice
The International Court of Justice (ICJ), is an organ of the United Nations (UN), in fact, one of the six principal organs.
The renowned Court has the responsibility of settling disputes between states in accordance with international law and gives advisory opinions on international legal issues.
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) is the only recognized international court that adjudicates general disputes between countries, with its rulings and opinions serving as primary sources of international law.
Benefits of ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023
- The fellowship aims to improve participants’ understanding of public international law and of the Court’s procedures by actively involving them in the work of the Court and allowing them to acquire the necessary experience while being supervised by a judge.
- Each fellow will be assigned to one judge for a period of around ten months, from early September to June or July of the following year.
- During this ten months period, participants will attend any public hearings of the Court, research and be allowed to write memorandums on legal questions or factual aspects of pending cases.
- Successful Participants will work alongside an associate legal officer, who is the primary legal assistant of each judge and is employed by the Court for a period of two to four years
How to Apply for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme 2023?
- Are you Interested and Eligible? Visit the International Court of Justice at: https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx to apply
- You can also visit the official website of ICJ at: https://www.icj-cij.org/en/judicial-fellows-program
Eligibility Criteria for ICJ Judicial Fellowship Programme Qualification
To be considered for the ICJ Judicial Fellowship:
- It is expected that Candidates should be 31 years of age or younger at the time the programme begins
- He/She must have excellent reading skills, writing skills, and oral skills in at least one of them
- Candidates must have demonstrated excellent results in their legal studies
- Must have demonstrated an interest in public international law through their studies, publications and/or work experience
- Candidates with a working knowledge of the second official language would have added advantage
Documents Required for Application
- Sponsorship agreement Letter from the university over the Candidate
- The Application form and summary table, completed by the candidate;
- Two or three letters of reference;
- An Official academic record of the candidate;
- A 15 pages maximum Writing Sample
February 5, 2023
CHECK THIS OUT:
- IRI McCain Fellowship for Freedom 2023 Program for Young Political Leaders Worldwide – How…
- Rijksmuseum Migelien Gerritzen Fellowship 2023 – How to Apply Now!
- United Nations ECA Fellowship 2023 for young African Professionals – Apply Now!
- Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue – BETD Media Fellowship 2023 for Global Journalists