The call has been announced for the ESA African Research Fellowship Program (ARF) 2023. The research fellowship is the collaborative effort of the European Space Agency (ESA) and the African Union Commission.
The Africa Research Fellowship initiative was successfully created in 2021, the Fellowship was then offered to two African fellows who were then selected to conduct research in European Space Agency (ESA) the previous year (2022).
The Fellowship is designed to empower African Researchers with extensive research experience to carry out Earth Observation R&D activities relevant to the EO AFRICA Initiative.
Fellows are expected to make maximum use of Earth Observation data in synergy with world-class modelling approaches, in a cloud environment, to respond to the challenges the African continent is facing with respect to water resources management and food security.
Summary of the ESA Africa Research Fellowship Program
- Type: Research
- Organization: European Space Agency (ESA)
- Country: Africa
- Gender: Men and Women
- Duration: One year
- Number of Fellows: Four
- Location: Researchers will work at the ESA-ESRIN premises in Frascati (Rome, Italy) in collaboration with ESA’s scientists.
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Brief History Of the European Space Agency (ESA)
The European Space Agency (ESA) is an intergovernmental organization founded in 1975 with headquarters located in Paris, France.
ESA consists of about 22 member states dedicated to the exploration of space. The European Space Agency (ESA) had a global staff of over 2,000 in 2018 and an annual budget of about €4.9 billion in 2023.
Benefits of ESA Africa Research Fellowship Program 2023
The ESA African Research Fellowship (ARF) seeks to achieve this objective by:
- Participating in R&D activities by young African researchers with a focus on major African challenges and knowledge gaps, which may support African and global environmental and development agendas.
- Opportunity to exploit the ICT capabilities that help to maximise the use of Earth Observation data available over the continent,
- Promoting an open science approach where sharing data, results and knowledge is at the core of the value chain.
How to Apply for ESA Africa Research Fellowship Program 2023
Kindly locate a zip file containing:
- Additional technical information about the general tasks to be covered by the proposal and logistic aspects
- Template for proposal submission
- Notice of Privacy
- Download the package to apply for the call: https://eo4society.esa.int/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/ARF2023-Package.zip
- For more details, visit the ESA website at: https://eo4society.esa.int/2022/12/02/arf2023/
Eligibility Criteria for ESA Africa Research Fellowship Program Qualification
- Candidates with PhD or Master’s degrees with extensive research experience in a relevant technical or scientific can apply.
- Candidates must have Good interpersonal and communication skills
- should have the ability to work in a multicultural environment, both independently and as part of a team
- Candidates must show experience in using Python and developing Jupyter Notebooks.
- He/Her is expected to be Fluency in English and/or French, the working languages of the Agency.
- Candidates should be able to produce scientific papers to a high standard in English and interact effectively with the international scientific community in English.
Key Date for ESA Africa Research Fellowship Program
- Open call 1 February 2023
- The Submission of Proposals, 31 March 2023
- Notifications of Results (tentative) Mid-May 2023
- Commencement of Activities (tentative) 4th quarter 2023
Documents Required for Application
- Research Proposal
- CV with the most recent publication list. 3 pages max
- Copy of ID
- Scan of PhD or Master Diploma
- 2 Reference letters
March 31, 2023
CHECK THIS OUT:
- NIHR Global Health Palliative Care (GHAP) African PhD Training Fellowship 2023 – How to…
- WomEng GirlEng Technovation Camp 2023 for Girls and Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and…
- CFA Global Technical Assistance Programme 2023 – How to Apply
- UNDP Growth Stage Impact Ventures (GSIV) Programme 2023 In Nigeria – How to Apply