Applications for the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students (Fully-funded) are going to be open from the seventh day of October 2022. To get full details about this scholarship, read the review below.
Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students (Fully-funded)
This scholarship was created for an excellent student who wants to undertake a two-year master of science degree in South America Starting in the year 2023.
The National organizing committee of the IAU GA2024 is seeking for qualified African students to award the high-impact “Astronomy in Africa” scholarships. These scholarships were prepared in anticipation form the 32nd general assembly event.
Scholarship sponsors: International Astronomical Union (IAU)
Host Institutions: Recognized South African Universities
Scholarship Benefits: Fully Funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Master of Science (MSc)
Nationality: African Students
More Information About the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students
The 32nd assembly of the International Astronomical Union will be held in Cape Town, South Africa, in the year 2024 (GA2024). This event is held for the first time in 100+ years in the history of the IAU in Africa. This is providing a prime opportunity to showcase the cutting-edge research infrastructure and excellent talent in the science area of the African Continent.
After the application for this scholarship, an applicant will be shortlisted based on academic performance, quality of motivation, and suitability for access through the reference letter and Cv, and the associated letter of support from the potential supervisor.
Regional representation and diversity will be taken into the account during the shortlisting process. Non-South African applicants will be given more preference.
Eligibility Criteria of the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet the following conditions or criteria.
- Any candidate from Africa is eligible to apply for this scholarship
- To be eligible, all applicants must be eligible to register for an MSc degree at a South African University specializing in astrophysics/astronomy
- All candidates must have liaised with potential supervisors from recognized South African universities.
- All potential supervisors must provide a letter of support for the candidate, including a brief statement of the proposed research project
Benefits of the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students
All recipients of this scholarship will receive the following benefits;
- The fees for international students
- One international return flight
- Cost of visa.
- Medical insurance
Additionally, all scholarship recipients will receive benefits from the opportunity to volunteer at the general assembly in the year 2024. This will allow them to interact with the global astronomy community.
How to Apply for the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students
To apply for this scholarship, follow this process;
- Visit the online portal, monday.com/forms/f34336f95f4108f3cf2140bfba84293f?r=use1, and apply.
- All you will be required to do is to fill up the form and hit the “submit” button.
- Now, send your reference letter to the official email given at the website above on or before the application deadline.
- All Candidates must also submit their motivation and upload a well-constructed curriculum vitae, CV (maximum of 2-pages, 12-pt font), recent academic transcripts, and a scan of their undergraduate degree certificate.
- Finally, candidates for this scholarship must also submit or upload a letter of support from their potential supervisor. The statement of their proposed research project must be included in this letter.
These are the major steps to take towards your application.
Application Deadline for the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students
The deadline for application for the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students for the year 2022 is October 07, 2022.
The procedure for the selection of candidates is given below;
- Shortlisting will take place through the Science sub-committee of the GA2024 NOC, with external reviewers.
- The shortlisting will be done based on academic performance, quality of motivation, suitability for research as assessed through reference letters and CVs, and the associated letters for support from potential supervisors. Diversity and regional representation will also be taken into consideration during the shortlisting process. Preference will also be given to non-South African applicants.
- All the shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual interview on the 24th of November 2022.
- All the successful candidates will be notified during the week between 7 to 11 November 2022.
The outcome of your application
All the Successful Candidates will be informed during the week of 7 – 11 November 2022 that their application was successful. The award of the scholarship is required upon acceptance into an MSc program in astronomy or astrophysics at a university in South Africa.
Terms and Conditions for the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships for African Students
The terms and conditions to obey here are;
- All the successful applicants for this scholarship must be ready to start their degree program at the beginning of 2023 in the South African academic year.
- The MSc degree can only get two years of funding. This is the required period to finish the degree.
- Funding for the second year of study is subject to change upon adequate progress as determined by a progress report at the end of the first year of study and fulfillment of the requirements of the university at which the student is registered. Funding is contingent upon proof of registration from the proposed university.
- The IAU GA2024 National Organizing Committee has the total right to grant or deny scholarships for astronomy in Africa.
To get more information about this scholarship, visit the official website below; astronomy2024.org/africa-2024-scholarships/
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Country Gives Free Scholarship?
Germany. A favorite destination for international students seeking admission. Practically all institutions in Germany are free to attend and the DAAD, the nation’s largest scholarship foundation, offers a grant to help with living expenses.
How Do You Get 100% Free Scholarships?
Take the tips below to get fully funded scholarships;
- Know the best places to look.
- plan ahead of time.
- Work hard and remain inspired.
- Differentiate yourself from other applicants.
- Pay close attention to the application guidelines.
- Send in a standout cover letter or scholarship essay.
- Be very realistic.
Which Country Is Easiest to Get a Scholarship?
The easiest country to get scholarships these days is China. The Chinese Government and universities provide scholarships to international students so that they can study without any problems. Most of these scholarships are fully funded.
Which Country Has Easiest Student Visa?
The countries with the easiest student visa are
- The United Kingdom
- The USA
- New Zealand
Which Country Is Cheaper to Study?
Malaysia is one of the least expensive places to live while studying abroad. According to QS Best Student Cities 2016, Malaysia’s capital, Kuala Lumpur, ranked #1 for affordability. Most students only require roughly MYR 14,400 (about US$3,550) per year to live comfortably in Malaysia.