Read this article to get full information on the Things to know before applying for the IELTS examination. The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a very important test you must take if you have the desire of studying at any University abroad, especially in English-speaking countries.
Things to know before applying for the IELTS examination
The IELTS examination is so important that it is one of the compulsory requirements to get into nations like The United States and Australia for studies. As an international student, it is very compulsory to have very good grades on this test to have a higher chance of achieving your goals of studying in a different country.
If you get a very poor IELTS test score, you may be rejected by any University or scholarship in the United Kingdom or any other nation requiring this test.
Universities abroad prefer admitting students who perform better by scoring between 7-8 bands on the IELTS tests because they will not be affected by the English language understanding barrier.
Tips To Help You Get a High IELTS Score
These are the few things that help candidates get the success they desire in their IELTS examinations.
Know the various types of IELTS Tests
It is very paramount to know the types of IELTS examinations before sitting for the examinations. This is because this knowledge will be very useful in helping you prepare and pass the examinations.
One thing to know is that the exam is divided into different modules to test the language proficiency of the candidates in various areas.
One of these modules is the one given to people who want to use the certificate for academic purposes such as applying for admission and scholarships. This module is also important for people looking to register as professionals in areas such as becoming a nurse or a doctor.
The other module is for people looking to immigrate for work purposes.
Also Read: The Popularity of Football in Kenya
Know the Various Structures of the Exam
It is very important to know the structure of the examination because it will help you create a strategy on how best to prepare for the examination.
IELTS is structured into four different sectors: writing, reading, speaking and listening.
The reading part of the exam has 40 different questions and two tasks and each module has 60 minutes.
The listening section is done for 30 minutes with 40 questions and the speaking session will take about 10-14 minutes having three different parts.
There are two different ways to take the exams, there is an online and an offline method. The reading, listening, and writing parts of the test can be given in any of the two options, but the speaking test must be a face-to-face interview.
Understand the Score Calculation Method
To have a very good band score, candidates must have an understanding of the calculation methods of the scores. It is very important to know this before applying for the test.
The individual must find a guide that can explain the number of scores that can be gotten at any session of the examination.
The highest band score for the IELTS examination is 9. The final result is calculated by using an average of the scores gotten from the four different sessions. A score of 7-8 band is considered to be very relevant for passing the examination.
Practice And Adopt a Strategy
When you are preparing for the examination, it is very important to practice effectively and adopt using a strategy. To practice effectively, you must use past examination questions.
All individuals can practice by using timers to make sure that they can meet the pace of the examinations.
You can also join a training course to help you effectively prepare for the examination. Consider practicing for a long-time frame before attempting the examination.
Test Day Advice
The notes below contain some tips to help you do well during your test. It will give you a guide on different situations before and during the test.
Getting to the Test Center
Before you get to the test center, make sure you know the start and the ending time of your test. We recommend that you get this information a week before the examinations to be fully prepared to be punctual.
Another thing to confirm is the location of your examination as it could be different from where you booked your test.
Arriving for your IELTS Test
Use these tips when you arrive at the test center;
- Read and understand the IELTS test terms and conditions. This information will contain some important information about your test day. All the instructions can be found in the Test Takers Information part of your application form.
- Make sure you arrive early for the examinations because If you arrive late to your IELTS test, you might not be allowed to participate.
- Make sure you turn off your mobile device and any other electronic devices you have with you. These will be kept outside of the test room with other things you brought to the exam with you.
- The Listening, Reading, and Writing tests will take about 2 hours and 40 minutes. There will be no breaks during the tests.
- food or drink items cannot be brought into the test room. The only exception to this rule is water in a transparent bottle. Make sure you eat well before your test.
Also Read: Is Business School Worth It In 2022
Your Identity Documents
- your identity will be checked by the IELTS staff upon your arrival, the documents you received when you registered for the test will confirm the type of ID you’ll need. If you do not arrive with the correct ID, you will not be able to take the test.
- IELTS staff will take a photograph of you before you sit the test, this is just an additional security measure.
- In some countries, finger scans may be required.
During your Test
Follow the tips below during your test;
- You are only allowed to have a pencil, pen, ID, and eraser on your desk during your test.
- If you want to use the toilet during the test, put your hands up and do not distract other test takers.
- To take any permission or ask any questions during the examinations, raise your hands.
- When it’s time for the Listening test, make sure that you can hear the recording. If you can’t, raise your hand and alert the invigilator.
- After the Listening section, you will be given 10 minutes to fill in the answer sheet. However, you will not have that same 10 minutes after the Reading section, so make sure your answers are well written on your answer sheet when completing each section.
IELTS How to Apply
The registration process for the IELTS examinations is quite easy, follow the steps below to successfully apply for this test;
- Find your nearest IELTS test location to register for the Test
- Download an application form and submit it at the application center. Use this website, ielts.org/-/media/pdfs/application-form.ashx`
- You will also need to submit your valid identification documents
- Your test center will send you an email that your test is booked. This email will confirm the date and time of your test
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Tricks For IELTS?
These are Identify your strengths and weaknesses. Work on your weaknesses to make sure it does not negatively affect your total score. …
- Have a very effective study plan.
- Study the materials for the exam as much as possible
- Practice under pressure, especially when it’s getting close to the exam.
- Check out the official IELTS website often
- Make sure you check the location of the exam.
Is It Easy to Get 7.5 In IELTS?
Of course, it will not be easy if you do not have a perfect understanding of the English language. However, nothing is impossible with hard work and consistency. A score of 7. 0 and above means that your English language is good enough to join any University across the globe.
Can I prepare for IELTS in 2 days?
Unfortunately, you cannot prepare for the IELTS examination in two days. If you do not want to be caught in the bracket of people asking this question, prepare on time for this examination. It will take months of practice.
What Is the Best Time to Take IELTS Exam?
My advice is that you take the IELTS Examinations after about 4-6 months of preparation.