Application for TED Idea Search 2022 is now open for Young leaders from the African continent to apply. TED hosts yet another idea search with a mission to hear big, bold ideas specifically from Africa. Please note that applications are accepted only in the English Language.
With TED Idea Search 2022 for Young African leaders now opened, interested applicants are required to create a 2-minute video as a part of their submission and must put into consideration the deadline date for submissions which is June 24, 2022, at 11:59 pm ET, as the late submission will not be accepted.
Candidates whose submissions are successful for round 2, will be invited to a virtual event where they will be given an opportunity to talk more about their idea and participate in a Q&A (Question and Answer) with members of the TED community. Subsequently, winners will be invited to give a TED Talk, either virtually or in person.
Why Africa – TED Idea Search 2022
TED Idea Search 2022 for Young African leaders is a function of TED’s commitment to a global mindset. TED seeks to source ideas from everywhere and to make them widely and freely accessible.
The organization believes that powerful ideas, expressed and distributed with care, can bring different groups together and create a shared vision of a future worth pursuing.
This global mindset makes it possible for the organization to focus on different regions of the world for several idea search events.
Details of TED Idea Search 2022
- Application Deadline: June 24, 2022, at 11:59 pm
- Type of Scholarship: Conference
- Number of positions given: Not Specified
- Eligible Countries: African Countries
Successful Tips Before Application
Idea Worth Spreading
TED Idea Search 2022 is all about getting ideas worth spreading which is the mission of TED. It simply means that your ideas should be new, unique, and can offer an insight or a new way of thinking to a very large audience.
Talks do have topics and an idea.
Your topic is usually the general direction you want to take the talk. Examples of such topics are stated below:
Topic: The need to fix the opioid crisis
So our idea is a specific angle that stems from the topic which is a unique message, solution, or insight that only you can share.
An Idea example: In the opioid crisis, here’s what it takes to save a life
Other examples of topics and ideas
Topic: The Continent of Africa lacks access to basic energy sources
Idea: Various energy Africa needs to develop — and fight climate change
Topic: Paleontology is important
Idea: The search for dinosaurs revealed our place in the universe
Topic: The need for more organ donors
Idea: ways to create a world where no one dies waiting for a transplant
Eligibility for TED Idea Search 2022
It is important to check very well your idea against the list below before submitting your application. You must understand that an idea worth spreading can mean several things to TED.
- Does your idea check a few of these boxes?
- Your idea, is it worth spreading to the audience a unique insight?
- Your audience, can they learn something brand new? Something they’ve never heard before?
- Can your audience learn about a new solution to a problem?
- Are you confident that your idea is not a product pitch?
- Have you checked TED’s massive library?
What do you Need to Avoid?
Below are some examples of ideas that TED Idea Search 2022 would likely not consider:
- Ways in which I learned to speak my truth and be my authentic self.
- Ways of conquering your fears and achieving your dreams.
- Finding your passion through unleashing your creativity.
- The rare experience I had taught me to face my fear.
- Finding happiness using the L.U.V. method: Light, Universe, Vulnerability.
Selection Methods For TED Idea Search 2022
- All Applicants for TED Idea Search 2022 are required to create a 2-minute video as a part of their submission.
- The application deadline for submissions is June 24, 2022, at 11:59 pm ET.
Benefits of TED Idea Search 2022
Applicants whose application scales through round 2 will be invited to a virtual event to talk more about their idea and participate in a Q&A with members of the TED community, then Winners will be invited to give a TED Talk, either virtually or in person.
How to Apply for TED Idea Search 2022
Interested applicants from the African continent are eligible to apply, applications in English are only accepted. Also, applications without videos or applications with videos that exceed 2 minutes will not be considered.
- You have to Film yourself using good lighting angled towards your face rather than coming from behind you. Please avoid using a green screen as your background.
- A stable camera oriented in horizontal framing is preferred. Ensure you set it to the highest resolution. ( 4k, 1080.)
- Your sound should be clear and audible, don’t film outside, and also prevent objects from rubbing on the microphone
- Make sure that Your entire answer does not exceed 2 minutes. You can write out a script that is around 280-300 words to help plan better
- Then you upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo and title the video, “your name – TED Idea Serch: Africa 2022”.
Visit the Award Webpage for more details: https://www.ted.com/about/conferences/speaking-at-ted/global-idea-search