This simple guide explains how to connect your AirPods (any version) and AirPods Pro to your iPhone, Mac, iPad, Windows 10 PCs, and Android phones/tablets.
If you have new AirPods or AirPods Pro, you need to connect them to your devices to start enjoying music, movies, and podcasts. If you use Apple devices like iPhone, Mac, or iPad, it’ll be really quick, maybe just five seconds. But even if you have a non-Apple device, it’s still easy.
We’ll show you how to connect your wireless earbuds to almost any device, whether it’s made by Apple or not. The steps are the same for all versions of AirPods and AirPods Pro, so this guide should work for everyone.
How to Connect Your AirPods to Your iPhone
Connecting your AirPods to your iPhone is super easy. Just follow these steps:
- Unlock your iPhone, make sure you’re signed into iCloud, and get to your home screen.
- Put your new AirPods in their charging case and bring the open case close to your iPhone.
- After a few seconds, you’ll see a welcome animation with a “Connect” button. Tap on it.
- Depending on your AirPods model, you might be asked to enable “Hey Siri” or offered a trial of Apple Music. Any additional pop-up messages are usually straightforward, so choose your preferences.
- Once you’ve finished the setup, you’ll see a message with a “Done” button. Tap it, and your new AirPods are good to go.
Note: If you’re signed into iCloud when you start, it makes it easy to connect your AirPods to other Apple devices like Mac, iPad, or others using the same iCloud account.
When you pair your new AirPods, you’ll likely see a pop-up on those devices too. Just tap “Connect” on the pop-up, and you can use your AirPods with any compatible Apple device.
How to Manually Connect Your AirPods to iPhone
If the previous method doesn’t work for some reason, you can manually connect your AirPods to your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Make sure your AirPods are in their charging case.
- Press and hold the Setup button on the case for about five seconds. You’ll see the front light start pulsing.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and go to the Bluetooth section.
- Look for your AirPods in the list and tap on them.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the connection.
That’s it. Your AirPods should now be connected to your iPhone manually.
How to Connect Your AirPods to Your Apple Watch
Your Apple Watch can connect to your AirPods automatically if they’re already paired with the iPhone it’s linked to. However, you can also connect your AirPods directly to the Apple Watch without needing your iPhone nearby.
This is great for situations like the gym or a run when you’ve left your iPhone behind but still want to listen to music or podcasts. Here’s how to do it:
- Ensure that your AirPods are inside their charging case.
- Press and hold the Setup button on the case for about five seconds until the front light starts pulsing.
- On your Apple Watch, open the Settings app, then go to Bluetooth.
- Wait for your Apple Watch to search for nearby Bluetooth devices.
- When it finds your AirPods, tap on them. Your AirPods are now paired with your Apple Watch for all audio.
Simple. Your AirPods should now be connected to your Apple Watch, allowing you to enjoy audio without needing your iPhone.
How to Connect Your AirPods to Your Mac
Connecting your AirPods to your Mac is usually straightforward if they were previously paired with an iPhone on the same iCloud account. You’ll likely just need to click the Connect button that appears.
But if that doesn’t happen, perhaps because you don’t use iCloud, don’t have an iPhone, or it’s your Mac’s first pairing, here’s a slightly more detailed guide:
- Ensure your AirPods are inside their case, and open the case’s lid.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the front light flashes white.
- On your Mac, click the Apple menu, then go to System Preferences, or use the gear icon in your dock to access System Preferences.
- Within System Preferences, click on Bluetooth.
- Look for your AirPods in the Devices list within the Bluetooth menu. When you find them, click on them to establish the connection with your Mac.
- You might be prompted to make some choices regarding enabling the “Hey Siri” functionality and privacy preferences. Follow the prompts and make your selections.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your AirPods are set up and ready to use with your Mac.
How to Connect Your AirPods to Your iPad
Connecting your AirPods to your iPad should be straightforward if they were previously paired with another Apple device on the same iCloud account. But if you need to do it manually or encounter any issues, follow these steps on your iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Air, or iPad Mini:
- Ensure your iPad’s Bluetooth is turned on. You can do this by going to the iPad’s settings.
- Go to your iPad’s home screen. Make sure your AirPods are inside their case and open the case.
- You should see a pop-up message that looks like the one shown for the iPhone in the previous instructions. Just tap the “Connect” button and follow any further instructions that appear.
If this automatic method doesn’t work, you can also try the manual method:
- Hold down the setup button on your AirPods case until the status light flashes white.
- On your iPad, go to the Bluetooth settings, and you should see your AirPods in the list of available devices. Tap on them to manually connect.
Your AirPods should now be connected to your iPad, and you can enjoy your audio without any problems.
How to Connect Your AirPods to Windows PC
Connecting your AirPods to a Windows PC is quite like connecting them to a Mac. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide:
- Click on the magnifying glass icon (Windows 10) or the Search box (Windows 11) in your taskbar.
- Type “Bluetooth” in the search bar and click on the result that says “Bluetooth & other device settings.”
- At the top of the window that appears, click “Add Bluetooth or other device” (Windows 10) or “Add device” (Windows 11).
- In the “Add a device” window that pops up (for both Windows 10 and 11), click on “Bluetooth” at the top.
- Your PC will start searching for available devices to pair with. Meanwhile, press and hold the setup button on your AirPods until the indicator light blinks white.
- Your AirPods should appear in the list of available devices within a few seconds. Simply click on them to start the pairing process.
- Once the PC finishes pairing, your AirPods should appear under the “Audio” section of the “Bluetooth & other devices” window. Look for a “Paired” or “Connected” indicator below them.
And that’s all.
How do I put my AirPods in pairing mode?
To put your AirPods in pairing mode, follow these steps:
- Open the lid of the AirPods case (make sure the AirPods are inside).
- Press and hold the Setup button at the back of the case.
- Wait until the light on the front of the case starts flashing, indicating that they are ready to pair.
How do I reset my AirPods?
If you’re experiencing issues with your AirPods, resetting them can help. Here’s how:
- Put your AirPods in the charging case and close the lid.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Take the AirPods out of the case and put them in your ears.
- On your connected iPhone or iPad, go to the Bluetooth section in the Settings app or select “[your] AirPods” within Settings.
- If your AirPods are listed, tap the “i” in a circle icon next to them and choose “Forget This Device” (confirm when prompted).
- Place your AirPods back in the charging case with the lid open.
- Press and hold the Setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds until the indicator light blinks amber and then white.
- Your AirPods should now be reset and ready for reconnection.
More Related Content
- AirPods Deals – Apple AirPods Vs Apple AirPods 2
- The Coming Soon iPad Pro and Apple Airpod – Potential Release Date for Apples Latest Products
- Amazon’s Apple AirPods Pro Are Back to $189 Again – Apple AirPods Pro Deal
- What are the Best Apple Airpods to Use in 2022
- How to Connect AirPods to Your Windows 11 PC