After the end of this article, you will get to learn how to clean and care for your jewelry. Jewelry is a decorative item worn for personal adornment.
Jewelry can be bracelets, rings, necklaces, earrings, pendants, brooches, cufflinks, and more. improper storage and everyday wear can take a peal on your jewelry and make them look dull. However, you can make them look pretty again.
How to Clean and Care for Your Jewelry
If you have gold jewelry that is not glittering or diamonds that are now looking dim, you don’t have to worry because you can make them glitter again.
They may be dim due to lotions. Household cleaners or everyday wear leaves metals tarnished and gemstones dull. But proper can keep them looking their best pretty easily. read on to explore.
Best Way to Clean Jewelry at Home
One of the best ways to clean your gold and diamond jewelry at home is by using dish soap and warm water for metal, gems, and crystals.
According to McKenzie Santimer, museum manager and designer at the Gemological Institute of America. “Most jewelry, whether it’s a diamond or rose quartz, can be safely cleaned with dish soap and warm water”.
To clean your jewelry at home:
- Mix one drop of dawn dish soap with warm water in the bowl
- Allow your jewelry to sit in the mixture for several minutes to cut via oils and grime.
- If it is hard gemstones and solid gold jewelry, scrub with a soft-bristle toothbrush
- Make sure you scrub the gem from each side.
- Rinse, then dry with a microfiber cloth.
How to Clean Plated & Vermeil Jewelry with Extra TLC
To clean your gold-plated and gold vermeil jewelry, wash it with a small amount of gentle dish soap or non-chemical soap and warm water. Rinse it well and allow it to dry on a cloth or paper towel.
But, the best method to clean your vermeil jewelry is simply by gently rubbing and polishing with a soft cloth or microfiber cloth
Note that excess abrasion can cause the plating to erode, revealing discoloration of the base metal.
Try An Ultrasonic Cleaner
If your grime and dust are not removed easily from intricate pieces, then go for a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and follow the instructions.
It will help do a great job by dislodging dirt and debris. However, ultrasonic won’t remove tarnish, but it will work a treat with complex pieces which have lots of crevices where dirt can accumulate and stick.
What about Ketchup and Toothpaste?
To use this method,
- Submerge your jewelry in a small bowl of ketchup
- Then let it sit for 15 minutes to an hour.
- Wash the ketchup off in a mixture of warm water and dish soap
- Then rinse and buff dry with a microfiber cloth.
However, toothpaste is also equally effective. Rinse your jewelry in water, then spread a thin layer of toothpaste over its surface, and gently rub it in with a cellulose sponge or microfiber cloth.
How to Store your Jewelry in the Right Way
To avoid damage, you need to care for your jewelry in the right place. Here are tips to maintain your jewelry.
- Sun can damage our skin, the same goes for jewelry. Avoid direct sunlight so the jewelry doesn’t lose its color.
- Be careful of moisture. Some materials have distinct preferences when it comes to humidity. When not wearing it, package it in a plastic bag with charcoal or silica packets.
- Store the pieces separately. To avoid scratches and dings, Santimer recommends storing jewelry individually in clear plastic bags.
- Keep Chains from Tangling. You can hang your chain on a wall or buy a box to avoid tangling together.
See a Jewelry Pro
Jewelry is so expensive mostly when they are diamond and gold. So, if you notice any spot, you can visit any jewelry pro. if you notice these signs below:
- Restring pearls every few years
- Check prongs annually
- Deep-clean your gems
- If it’s broken…
What Is The Best Way To Clean Your Jewelry?
One of the easiest ways to clean your jewelry at home is by mixing dishwashing liquid and 1 cup of warm water. Then add 1 teaspoon of ammonia-based household cleaner and soak your jewelry and leave for 5 minutes, scrub with a soft toothbrush and rinse before drying with a towel.
How Do You Maintain Jewelry?
- To maintain your jewelry, take them off if you are not using them
- Take them off when off to bed
- Keep away from chemical
- Bath and apply any lotions or perfumes before you put your jewelry on
How Do You Take Care Of Expensive Jewelry?
- Keep them from water and make sure they are dry
- Keep them out from Gym and spa
- Avoid contact with lotion or perfume
- Get a protection plan or a box to store them
- Store your jewelry properly
What Is The Best Homemade Jewelry Cleaner?
The best homemade jewelry cleaning solution is a mixture of a few drops of Dawn dish detergent in warm, not hot, water. Leave for a few minutes and rinse after scrubbing with a soft toothbrush.
How Do You Protect Fine Jewelry?
Fine jewelry should be stored at room temperature, away from direct sunlight, and ideally somewhere with low humidity to avoid tarnishing silver. Multi-level jewelry boxes with drawers and dividers are good for storing expensive jewelry and protecting it from dust.
- Jumia Black Friday Phones
- Jumia Nigeria’s Black Friday Sales – Get Ready for Discount Sales
- It’s Another Jumia Black Friday
- Splatoon 3 Is Crossing Over with Pokémon for the Next Splatfest
- How to Buy Quality Good Products on Jumia Black Friday 2022
- The Fastest Shoes in the World Promises to Get Users Walking As Quickly As…