After filing an Auto insurance claim, one of the questions that may come to your mind is “How Long Does an Insurance Claim Take?”. Generally, it takes almost a month for an insurance claim to be filed and this is dependent on many factors.
As you read on, you will learn more about the Insurance claim, the process and lots more.
How Long Does an Insurance Claim Take?
Filing an auto insurance claim becomes an option when you are involved in a car accident. Especially when you can’t foot the bills on your own or you are the cause of the accident.
Also, you may not be the one at fault and with this, you have to file a claim against the driver. In any case, it boils down to getting compensated for loses and damages.
What is an Insurance Claim?
An Insurance claim is a request made by an individual to his or her insurer to obtain a compensation for any damage or loss. This damage or loss is usually associated to a property that the insurance policy covers.
There are different types of insurance claims and they include home, car , life , health insurance claim etc.
How to File an Auto Insurance Claim
When you are involved in an auto crash. It is important you notify your insurance company. it doesn’t matter whether you are at fault or not. You can also choose to file a claim when the damages are much.
Also, you may choose to file a claim with your insurance company or the insurance company of the other driver. Filing an Insurance claim may look like a difficult task but it’s not. Below are the steps to take when you want to file an auto insurance claim.
- Obtain important information from the driver at the scene. The driver’s name, address, license number, and information regarding their insurance coverage are just a few of the crucial info needed.
- Document the event from accident scene with photos and videos as well. This demonstrates the harm done to both cars.
- Contact and speak with the police. Contacting the police will help you determine who caused the collision. You might also need to submit a police report.
- After that, you must collect the required documentation and proof and get in touch with your insurance provider as quickly as you can.
- If you are not at fault, your insurance provider will act as your advocate and speak with the at fault’s drivers’ insurer. Your Insurer will also make sure the cause of the accident is fairly assessed.
If the insurer of the at fault’s driver approves the claim, you will be compensated. On the other hand, you can file a claim with your insurance company if you have a collision coverage.
How Long Does an Insurance Claim Take to Process?
The claim process can take from few weeks to several months. This depends on the state, the insurance company and the type of claim.
Generally, the auto claim takes less time to process than the home and health insurance claims. In the case of auto insurance, some factors that can cause a delay in the process includes back and forth negotiations, severe injuries and lots more.
How Long Does an Insurance Claim Take to Pay Out?
It also takes about a month for a company to pay out a compensation after you have filed a claim. The time insurers take to pay out generally depends on the severity of the damage, the cost for repairs and replacements, medical costs (if applicable) and the deductible.
You can speed up this process by providing enough valid evidence and documents. Also, you should be open and communicate well with the Insurance Adjuster.