Singapore is very popular for its stunning architecture and economic opportunities and many Nigerians visit the country for many reasons, there is also a Nigerian community in the country, some Nigerians are there for short visits (vacation), others for business and some reside permanently in the country.
If you’re a Nigerian looking to visit or relocate to Singapore, you need to obtain a visa, your visa will grant you entry to Singapore, without your visa, you won’t be allowed to enter the country. Whatever your reasons for wanting to visit Singapore, you need to go through the visa application process.
Singapore Visa Types
Singapore has different types of visas that it offers to visitors, each type of visa is designed for a particular purpose. As a Nigerian citizen who is visiting Singapore, you’ll likely apply for one of the following visa types:
- Tourist Visa (Short-term visit visa): This visa type is ideal for tourists, family visitors, and attendees of conferences or events, if you are not going for any of these reasons, you don’t need this type of visa.
- Business Visa (Business visit visa): This is good for individuals planning to engage in business-related activities in Singapore. If you have a business to carry out in the country, then this is the right visa for you.
- Employment Pass (Long-term employment): Required for foreign professionals seeking employment in Singapore. As a Nigerian, if you are seeking employment in Singapore or you have a job offer in Singapore, this is the best visa type for you.
- Student Pass (Study in Singapore): This visa type is necessary for international students enrolling in Singaporean educational institutions.
The type of visa you need depends on what you are going to Singapore to do, if you are going to the country for business purposes, you will apply for a Business visa, if you are going to the country for vacation, you need the Tourist visa.
For this guide, we will assume you are going to Singapore for vacation so we’ll focus on the tourist visa application process.
Determine your visa type
Since you’re planning a visit to Singapore, you’ll need a Tourist Visa (Short-term visit visa). This visa is suitable for tourists, family visitors, or individuals attending conferences or events in Singapore.
Prepare the required documents
Before you begin the visa application process, you need to gather all the required documents for the visa, every visa you are applying for in Singapore has its required documents and you need to submit them during the application process.
Here’s a detailed list of what you’ll need:
- Passport: You need your international passport and make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay in Singapore. Also, make sure it has at least two blank visa pages for stamping.
- Visa application form: You can get the visa application form online through the official website of the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA), just download it or fill it out online and submit or you get it in person at the Singaporean Embassy in Nigeria, you can walk to the embassy and request for it, they will guide you.
- Passport-sized photos: You also need two recent passport-sized photographs (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm), the background should be white, so make sure that the photos meet the specific Singaporean visa photo requirements.
- Proof of travel: Your proof of travel, includes documents like your flight reservations, hotel bookings, and a detailed itinerary of your trip. At this stage, you must make sure that your travel plans align with the intended duration of your stay in Singapore.
- Bank statements: In addition, you’ll need to provide proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Singapore. You can bring your bank statements from the last three to six months.
- Visa fee: You also need to pay for the visa (visa fee), the good news is that Singapore visa fees aren’t expensive and it depends on the type and duration of your visa. To know the current amount, you can check with the Singaporean Embassy or their official website.
Complete the visa application form
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary documents, you need to fill out the visa application form. While filling out the form, make sure you follow all the instructions in the visa form.
They will need you to provide the following details:
- Personal information: This includes your full name, date of birth, gender, nationality, and contact information.
- Passport details: You need to provide your passport number, date of issue, and expiration date.
- Travel information: They need you to specify your intended travel dates, the purpose of your visit, and your intended address in Singapore (e.g., hotel name or host’s address).
- Employment and financial information: You will be asked to share details about your current employment, monthly income, and financial commitments.
Submit your application
There are two ways to submit your visa; The first is online through their e-service and the second is in person.
If you are submitting in person, you need to locate the nearest Singaporean embassy in Nigeria. Make sure that you’ve included all required documents, if your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
Attend an interview (if required)
In some cases, the embassy will require you to attend an interview. In the interview, they want to know more about your visit. During the interview, provide honest answers about your travel plans.
Wait for processing
To make the processing of your visa faster, you should apply well in advance of your planned travel date. Singapore visa processing time varies depending on the visa type, a tourist visa will take 2 weeks to 1 month to process.
Receive your visa
Once your visa is approved, you’ll receive it stamped in your passport. Check and make sure that all the details are correct before leaving the embassy. If you find any errors or discrepancies, address them immediately.
That’s it, if you follow this process, you will obtain your visa faster. The process of applying for a Singaporean visa as a Nigerian citizen isn’t as complex as it has been made to look if you follow the simple steps in this guide, you will have your visa approved. You only need to pick the right visa type, make sure you have all the required documents, meet the financial requirements, and apply on time.
More Related Content
- Scholarships In Singapore University of Technology and Design – Fully Funded
- Singapore International Graduate Scholarships 2022/2023 For International Students – How to Apply Now
- Scholarships in Singapore Without IELTS – APPLY NOW!
- Singapore International Graduate Award 2023
- Commonwealth Scholarship at the National University of Singapore (NUS)