Happy International Nurses Week to every individual in this noble profession. There are so many holidays and celebrations in the world. Each of these holidays celebrates events to honor different careers. From teachers’ day to National Library Worker’s Day to Farmworkers to Dentists Day, this list goes on and on. In this article, we would be focusing on the International Nurses Day (IND) which is the first day of this week-long celebration.
If you are curious about the history of this event, you should keep on reading. You would also learn how you can make it a special one for yourself and also that loved one in this wonderful profession.
Happy International Nurses Week
This profession is a career based on care. To ensure that the selfless and brave services of Nurses are recognized, this week has been set apart for them. It is not a bad idea to celebrate the hard work of individuals at all. Just every feel honored when they are recognized and appreciated, it is important to observe this celebration.
What is International Nurses Day?
International Nurses Day (IND) is a worldwide celebration that honors and appreciates the commitment and services of nurses around the world. Though the celebration of this profession is carried out for a week, this is the first day of the celebration. It continues until the 12th of May which happens to be the birthday of the founder of modern nursing. This fantastic event is coordinated by the International Council of Nurses (ICN).
What is the History of International Nurses Week?
The origin of this event can be traced to Florence Nightingale. Her treatment of wounded soldiers in the Crimean War in the 19th century was a heroic one. She is also known as the founder of the modern era of nursing. Her services were focused on holding health care teams accountable for the quality of patient care.
She also implemented sanitary conditions such as handwashing and bathing as well as emphasizing the need for patient-centered care. The treatments carried out by her and her team led to a drastic reduction in the death rates of wounded soldiers. There are other individuals who contributed to the celebration of this event. They include:
- Clara Barton also known as the “Angel of the Battlefield” was known for treating soldiers during the Civil war.
- Linda Richards. This nurse was known for offering exceptional care to her patients. She kept a chart at the side of her patient’s bed which she used to keep their records.
- Mary Eliza Mahoney was one lady who dedicated her to public health efforts for underserved communities.
In February of 1974, President Nixon proclaimed a National Nurse Week to be celebrated annually in May. With this, the IND is celebrated in the second week of May. From the 6th of May to the 12th of May which is the birthday of Florence Nightingale.
What is the International Nurses Day 2022 Theme?
If you have been observing this event for a while, you should be aware that each annual celebration comes with a unique theme. The theme for the 2022 event is “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and respect rights to secure global health.” Amazing right? This theme is always made known by the International Council of Nurses (ICN).
Nurses Day Celebration Ideas
Are you in this profession? Is your loved one in this profession? You wouldn’t want this event to be a boring one, would you? If yes, this article has got you covered. The list below contains some wonderful celebration ideas for this special holiday:
- Send flowers.
- Say a prayer for the nurses around you.
- Make decorations with wonderful quotes.
- Go out together for community service.
- Send gifts.
- Give out Thank you cards.
- Give local and national awards to honor the selfless services of individual nurses and nursing teams.
- Offer free advanced educational opportunities and research grants to individuals in the profession.
- Host parties and luncheons to honor and recognize selfless individuals of the nursing profession.
These are some ideas that would make the event a special one.
How to Buy Best Gifts for Nurses on Amazon
Amazon is an online marketplace where you get items including gifts at affordable prices. If you don’t know the gift to get for that nurse, you should check Amazon. To do this, follow the steps below:
- With your internet-connected device, click on this link-https://amzn.to/38cWS0X.
- Go through the gift items on the opened page.
- Click on the one you wish to buy.
- Choose “Add to cart” or “Buy Now”.
You can follow the rest instructions on your screen to complete your purchase.
During the outbreak of pandemics, the importance of this profession becomes evident. This is because they are the frontline workers tending to patients with the risk of being infected themselves. You shouldn’t allow this event to pass by without you celebrating yourself or any other individual you know in this medical field.