The GEO editorial team is inviting suitably qualified young journalists or photojournalists with a passion for storytelling and exploration, to participate in their GEO Young Reporter Fellowship Program 2024. Consider this program your golden opportunity to have an exciting and rewarding career.
For nearly 45 years, GEO has been recognized for its excellence in the world of field journalism, they’re also respected for their commitment to high-quality reporting, and GEO has embarked on a mission to support the next generation of journalists and photojournalists. This mission is achieved through the GEO Young Reporter Scholarship, now in its sixth consecutive year.
GEO Young Reporter Fellowship Program – Details
The GEO Young Reporter Fellowship program is basically designed for young talents aged 18 to 30 who have a passion for journalism and photojournalism. If you fit this description, pay close attention, because this opportunity could be your gateway to success.
From the month of October 25, 2023, to January 19, 2024, all prospective young reporters can submit their application files. Please note that this file should include a comprehensive curriculum vitae, a compelling cover letter, and a detailed synopsis of a reporting project. For photographers, a portfolio should also be included.
A distinguished panel, including the editor-in-chief and representatives of GEO’s editorial staff and major reporters, will meticulously review the submitted projects.
They are particularly interested in projects that align with GEO’s editorial focus, such as the discovery of new territories, environmental issues, diverse cultures, and societies.
- The winner of this prestigious scholarship will receive funding of €5,000 to bring their reporting project to life. This is a demonstration of GEO’s commitment to nurturing new talents in the field of journalism.
- In addition, the GEO editorial team will also assign an experienced journalist or photographer, based on the project’s needs, to guide and collaborate with the winner.
- Before setting out on their journalistic adventure, the winner will have the unique opportunity to engage in briefings with the editorial team. These sessions are designed to help them adapt their work to GEO’s signature writing style.
- Winners will also receive invaluable advice on the organization and logistics of their report and also get to seek assistance from a seasoned GEO journalist throughout the project.
- The GEO Young Reporter Fellowship Program is designed for journalists or photojournalists
- They should be between the ages of 18 to 30 years.
Participating in the GEO Young Reporter Fellowship Program involves the following steps:
- Assemble an application file, including a one-page CV, a one-page cover letter, and a synopsis of your subject.
- Your project should align with GEO’s editorial focus, covering topics like the discovery of new territories, environmental issues, diverse cultures, and geopolitics.
- After receiving applications, the selection committee will carefully assess the files. The best projects that align with GEO’s editorial line will be selected.
- The winner will engage in productive briefings with GEO’s editorial team before commencing their project. They will work with experienced GEO professionals to fine-tune their approach.
- Applications will be accepted until January 19, 2024, 11:59 p.m., via the provided form.
- The announcement of the winner will take place in GEO’s April 2024 issue.
- The actual production of the story in the field will happen throughout 2024 and will be published in GEO in the following months.
The key dates to note for the GEO Young Reporter Fellowship Program Include:
- January 19, 2024: Deadline for submitting applications.
- February 2024: Deliberation by the jury, comprising GEO’s editorial staff and prominent reporters.
- April 2024: Presentation of the prize to the winner and the announcement in the April issue of GEO.
More Related Content
- Federal Court Blocks Texas Law Banning ‘Viewpoint Discrimination’ On Social Media
- NAMIP’s Media Product Fellowship 2023 – APPLY NOW!
- Photo Award 2023 Yves Rocher Foundation Photo Award | Up to €8,000 in prize
- 7 Ways to Find What You Are Good At
- Shell Nigeria Industrial Training Internship 2022 – How to Apply