Who is a gender therapist? A gender therapist or gender specialist is a person who has a huge and great amount of knowledge in regards to gender dysphoria, gender identity, gender nonconformity, transphobia, and how to also help clients with the transition steps.
A gender therapist and specialist also is a person that is so well educated on gender identity issues that they could easily and potentially teach a course on gender identity to other health care professionals as well as a college-level course on gender identity issues. They know and consult with other gender specialists and also they belong to a consultation group with other gender specialists and therapists.
A gender specialist also should be a current member of the world professional association for transgender health (WPATH) and also keeps updated info on what the organization is working on at the moment, the type of changes that are constantly happening with it, and also and lastly, the pros and cons of these certain changes.
Questions Clients Should Ask a Potential Gender Therapist
As a client, there are fail-safes in place you need to try out to know the right gender specialist for you. Generally, a gender therapist should be able to answer YES to certain questions and you can find them below;
- As a gender therapist, do you have sound guidance and know-how to help patients talk to their families, friends, and also their employees, and colleagues about transitioning? They should also have materials that they can give to clients to provide to their families, friends, and employees or colleagues about transitioning.
- Gender therapists should be able to speak to clients knowledgeably in regards to hormones. They should also be able to speak about the different types of delivery options, hormonal blockers, all the options available to them, the pros and cons of each option, and also the dosage.
- They should also be able to speak to clients and patients about the different types of surgeries, all the options, the pros and cons of each type and option, the different techniques available for each type of surgery, and lastly, the pros and cons of each type of surgical technique.
- A gender specialist should also know about the different types of gender specialist surgeons that are known all over the world and the other type of gender non-conforming friendly surgeons available, all the options, and also the pros and cons of each.
- A gender therapist should know all the various types of laws with regards to changing documents, insurance policies, and anti-discrimination. They should also know when they change and also they should be able to fill out the necessary paperwork.
- As a gender therapist, you should be able to help your clients maneuver the healthcare system such as talking to doctors, working with uninformed insurance companies, dealing with staff that is sometimes hostile and sensitive as well as anyone that is associated with the healthcare system.
- You should be able to educate a client about issues surrounding transitioning and you should also have done that a couple of times as a gender therapist.
- You should also be able to educate your client on the specific tools that will help to keep oneself as safe as possible from the violence that is within the dangers of the transphobic world and so much more.
These are just about some of the duties and roles of a gender therapist or sometimes gender specialist. Check here to learn more about the roles and duties of a gender specialist.