Climate change is one of the most pressing issues of our time, and it requires urgent attention and effective communication. To recognize and promote exceptional climate journalism, the European Journalism Centre (EJC) is inviting journalists and newsrooms to participate in the Climate Journalism Award 2023.
EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023
With a €2,000 cash prize for each category, this award aims to encourage innovative and impactful storytelling about climate-related topics. The EJC, in partnership with the Google News Initiative, manages the award, which includes five distinct categories stated below:
This category focuses on climate change reporting that relies on data analysis. Journalists who use data-driven approaches to uncover trends, patterns, and insights related to climate change are eligible for this category. Data visualization techniques can be used to enhance the understanding and impact of the reporting.
Storytelling & Solutions
In this category, the emphasis is on innovative and solutions-focused storytelling methods for communicating climate change stories. Journalists are encouraged to explore creative ways to engage their audience and propose practical solutions to mitigate the effects of climate change. This category highlights the power of storytelling in inspiring action and promoting positive change.
Visualizations play a vital role in making climate stories comprehensible and engaging for the audience. This category recognizes journalists who effectively utilize data and scientific information to create visually compelling representations of climate-related issues. By translating complex data into accessible visuals, journalists can convey the urgency and impact of climate change more effectively.
This category of the EJN awards holds those in power accountable for their actions and their impact on climate change. Journalists who uncover environmental scandals, expose corporate malpractices or reveal political inaction are eligible for this category. Through in-depth investigations, these journalists shed light on the forces shaping our climate and advocate for greater transparency and responsibility.
The emerging talent category is dedicated to innovative climate reporting produced by journalists and newsrooms with less than three years of experience. It provides a platform for aspiring journalists to showcase their fresh perspectives and novel approaches to climate storytelling. This category encourages young talents to contribute to the field of climate journalism and fosters the growth of future climate reporters.
EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023 Overview
The EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023 is an esteemed recognition that celebrates outstanding climate journalism. It aims to encourage journalists to prioritize reporting on climate-related issues and adopt innovative approaches in storytelling. By doing so, the award contributes to raising awareness about climate change and its impacts on our planet.
Benefits of Winning the Award
Winning the EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023 provides several benefits for journalists and newsrooms:
- Recognition: The award recognizes outstanding climate journalism and establishes the winners as leading voices in the field.
- Cash Prize: Each category winner will receive a cash prize of €2,000, which acknowledges their exceptional work and dedication.
- Networking Opportunities: The award ceremony and associated events offer valuable networking opportunities with industry professionals and fellow journalists.
- Career Advancement: Winning the award can enhance career prospects and open doors to new opportunities in climate journalism.
Eligibility Criteria for the EJC Climate Journalism Award
To be eligible for the EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023, journalists or teams must meet the following criteria:
- All submitted pieces are expected to address one or more topics related to climate change and its effects
- Additionally, the Submitted piece must have been published in a European-based media outlet
- The piece must have been published in the past 12 months that is from 14 June 2022 – 13 June 2023.
How to Apply for the EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023?
- The EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023, is open to reporting in any language, however, the reports must be accompanied by a text-only translation in English.
- Submissions can be made on behalf of a collaborative team of journalists. To apply for the award, kindly Click this link: https://grant.ejc.net/
- Tap the Login/Sign up button located at the top of the page to continue with your application
- For More information about the award, visit the official website on: https://ejc.net/funding/climate-journalism-award_ejc_june_2023
Important Dates and Deadlines
The deadline for submissions to the EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023 is July 17, 2023. After the submission period, a panel of expert judges will evaluate the entries based on the specific criteria for each category.
The winners will be announced at the News Impact Summit event on October 12, 2023. Winners will be invited to the ceremony in Lisbon, with travel expenses covered by the EJC.
The EJC Climate Journalism Award 2023 is a prestigious recognition that honors exceptional climate journalism. By encouraging innovative storytelling and prioritizing reporting on climate-related issues, the award contributes to raising awareness and driving positive change. Journalists and newsrooms across Europe are invited to participate, and the winners will be celebrated at the News Impact Summit event in October 2023.
More Related Content
- Facebook Journalism Project: Facebook Journalism | Journalist Registration on Facebook
- Best Jobs You can Get with a Degree in Journalism
- Highest Paying Jobs in Journalism
- Facebook News Today: Facebook News | Facebook Newsroom
- Facebook Climate Science Information Centre: Facebook Launches Climate Science Info Centers In Nigeria and South Africa