Applications are open for the Dow Jones News Fund Summer Internship 2023. If you’re a college Journalist, the DJNF Internship is your perfect fit.
College students are encouraged to submit applications for paid summer internships with The Dow Jones News Fund in audience engagement, business reporting, data journalism, digital media, and multiplatform editing. The set Deadline for applications is November 16, 2023.
Dow Jones News Fund (DJNF) Summer Internship
College journalists will be chosen by The News Fund for internships in more than 70 newsrooms around the nation. Additionally, those chosen will receive $1,500 scholarships, a week of pre-internship training, memberships in media organizations, and access to the DJNF alumni network for jobs and mentoring.
Students must apply by the deadline (November 16 2023), and pass a timed, online qualifying test in order to be eligible. There are five training programs that correspond to the summer internship work that interns will be completing. Students may express interest in one or more of the following programs:
- Audience Engagement: The goal of audience engagement internships varies from newsroom to newsroom, but it is always to assist in bringing the news to its intended audience. Job expectations range from creating newsletters and seizing on hot subjects on social media to writing SEO-friendly headlines and creating compelling content for video and social. Previous internship assignments have been at the Detroit Free Press, The Marshall Project, the Kansas City Star, and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Business Reporting: News Fund will place reporters in more than 30 newsrooms to cover a range of subjects from Wall Street to Main Street, such as the stock market, start-up companies, labor unions, minority-owned businesses, real estate, climate change, the agricultural sector, and the auto industry. Previously held internship placements include The American City Business Journals, Barron’s, Insider, The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, American Banker, Detroit News, and Automotive News.
- Data Journalism: News Fund often places interns in one of three types of data internships: submitting records requests and performing data analysis using spreadsheets; using coding and technical tools to create apps and interactive visuals for news articles. reporting and writing with the aid of investigative reporting projects. Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Kansas City Public Television, The Marshall Project, Investigative Reporting Network, IndyStar, and USA Today are just a few of the organizations where interns have previously been placed.
- Digital Media: Depending on the newsroom, having a job as a digital media intern might imply many various things. You might work in print, social media, video, audio, or any of these mediums. To help them develop their skill sets using the most recent technology and narrative methods, interns receive interdisciplinary training. Austin American-Statesman, Arizona Republic, Hawaii News Now, Nashville Public Radio, Colorado Sun, and CalMatters are a few publications where interns have previously been placed.
- Multiplatform Editing: Before a story is published, editors perform the last review. Multiplatform editing interns create SEO-friendly headlines, design pages on time, and edit material for correctness, completeness, tone, and style. The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Stars & Stripes, and San Francisco Chronicle are just a few publications where interns have previously been placed.
Eligibility Criteria for DJNF Summer Internship
- Students who were enrolled full-time in college as sophomores, juniors, seniors, or graduate students on November 16 are eligible to apply, including December grads.
- International students with work permits who are already in the country and American students who are studying abroad are both eligible.
How to Apply for a Summer Internship at Dow Jones News Fund in 2023?
Students who meet the qualification requirement should click this link https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_UtQ17Us6VYF3dZ79_9NVWyctg7BdHRgrMLGKnk8HkwPRVQ/viewform to apply.
Students who have applied will get an email from HireVue with a link to the timed, online test that needs to be finished within 72 hours.
Taking the sample exams available via this link https://dowjonesnewsfund.org/test/ , will help students to become ready for the exam.
For more details, please visit the official website at https://dowjonesnewsfund.org/news/djnf-internship-application-open-2/