Applications are currently ongoing for British Academy Global Professorships 2023. The Academy aims to support ambitious and groundbreaking research proposals through the Global Professorships.
These professorships offer an opportunity for academics in the humanities and social sciences to pursue high-risk, curiosity-driven research that can bring about a significant change in their research programs and their affiliated institutions in the UK.
British Academy Global Professorships 2023
The Academy actively encourages applications from groups that have historically faced disadvantages and from female researchers.
Applicants from any area within the humanities or social sciences are welcome. While outputs involving creative practice such as music composition, performance, visual arts, creative writing, and filmmaking are accepted, they will be considered within the British Academy’s scope only when they are part of a project with critical or historical significance.
- The Academy will make available a maximum of £900,000 per award.
- Each award is projected to last for a duration of four years, commencing on a mutually agreed starting date with the British Academy. The starting date must fall within the timeframe of 1 March 2024 and 30 September 2024.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Grants are available for mid-career and senior researchers in the humanities and social sciences who are currently employed outside the United Kingdom, either on a permanent contract or a temporary contract that will not end during the grant period, unless agreed with the Academy beforehand.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree or equivalent research experience.
- Applicants must be able to take up an unpaid leave of absence, long-term secondment, or employment at an eligible UK institution. If this requirement is unclear based on one’s national setting, communication with the Academy is encouraged before submitting the application. Eligible institutions include British International Research Institutes, among others.
- Only individuals can apply for awards, not co-applicants.
- The grant cannot be used retroactively, meaning the proposed research should not have already started at the time of the award announcement. Applications must focus on new, independent, and cutting-edge research ideas.
- An official statement of support from a senior member of the proposed UK host institution is required. This person is typically a Pro-Vice-Chancellor or of equivalent position, or at least a Head of Department/Faculty/Institute.
- Applicants should be based outside the UK when applying. Those primarily employed by a UK institution are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must demonstrate prior contact with their proposed UK host institution. Please note that the British Academy cannot assist in finding or facilitating contact with UK host institutions.
- Submitting duplicate applications for the same purpose to multiple British Academy funding programs is not permitted.
How to Apply For British Academy Global Professorships 2023
- Applicants are required to utilize the Grant Management System, Flexi-Grant® for online submission of their applications to the British Academy.
- The deadline for submitting the application and statements from the head of department is Wednesday 1 November 2023 (17:00 GMT), along with the approval from the current UK host institution.
For further information on British Academy Global Professorships, please visit the official website.
November 1, 2023.
More Related Content
- University of Kassel Wangari Maathai Visiting Professorship Program 2023 – APPLY NOW
- Android 11 Update – Top Smartphones That Are Upgradeble to Android 11
- CERN Short Term Internship in Geneva 2023 – APPLY NOW
- Future Academy Africa Tech Scholarship 2022 for Young Africans – Apply Now
- How to Make Payment with Academy Credit Card