AfWA Research Scholarships 2023 For African Students – HOW TO APPLY

Have you been searching for a good Scholarship opportunity for a master’s engineering course? if yes, then search no further for we have you covered, as AFWA Research Scholarship 2023 is now open for suitably qualified candidates.

AfWA Research Scholarships 2023 For African Students
AfWA Research Scholarships 2023 For African Students

As a part of its capacity-building program for African stakeholders in the sanitation, water, and hygiene sector (AfriCap) sponsored by USAID, the African water association is offering research Scholarships to African young water and sanitation professionals.

Targeted students are Masters and engineering students in the final year of their training. The Scholarship entails a given sum of $1,000 to each of the students to carry out research work moderated by a scientific report on a field related to the WASH sector.

Since the 2016-2019 Academic year, AFWA has given out sixty (60) Scholarships to students from 11 countries in West and Central Africa. AFWA will be offering 15 Scholarship opportunities to students during the 2022-2023 Academic session.

Themes For Research

The following research themes were selected for this program for the 2022-2023 Academic session:

  • Directions to cut down Non-Revenue water in water utilities.
  • An improved water quality control.
  • Water supply and services in low-income urban areas.
  • Improved sanitation of Urban and peri-Urban.
  • Use of ICT in water and sanitation services.

Management of water resources.

Details Of AFWA Research Scholarships For African Students Program

  • Program Type: Postgraduate
  • Sponsors: African Water Association (AFWA)
  • Eligible Gender: Male and Female
  • Application Status: Ongoing
  • Application Deadline: 15th April 2023

Benefits Of AFWA Research Scholarships For African Students Program

Here are a few perks that come with attaining this Scholarship:

  • Recipients of the Scholarship will receive $1,000 for research funding that is after the research has been approved by the research supervisor.
  • Please note that 60% of the funds will be released after this process and the other 40% will be given after the submission of the electronic version of the research.

About AFWA

AFWA established in the year 1979, is a continental organization with the sole aim of showing the importance of water and sanitation services to the overall socioeconomic development of Africa.

The organization constitute of 100 members from 40 countries in Africa. Members include research institution, NGOs, Academics, utilities, and the private sector.

Application Process For AFWA Research Scholarships For African Students Program

If you’re interested and eligible for this Scholarship here is how to apply:

  • Candidates should submit their application electronically to the following addresses simultaneously: first and then to
  • A successful candidates list will be uploaded on the AFWA website:
  • For more info also visit The website above.

Requirements To Apply For AFWA Research Scholarships For African Students Program

Here are all you will be needing to successfully apply for this program:

  • Applicants for the Scholarship program will compose their research topics in collaboration with one of the fields proposed in this call for application. Topics will be available on the AFWA website. To apply meet the following requirements:
  • You must be a citizen of a sub-Saharan African country that is eligible for USAID funding.
  • You are to have good academic performance.

Documents Required

  • A student card or registration receipt for the current year.
  • Last completed degree.
  • CV (3 pages Max)
  • Recommendation letters (3), should be from an academic supervisor.
  • Download the research proposal form from AFWA website:

Application Deadline

15th April 2023



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here