The Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2022 is a resultant partnership of Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union, the program is open for applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a duration of one month.
As mentioned above, the duration of the Abel Visiting Scholar Program is a month however, In the event that the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate must show proof of financial support from the host institution to cover the living expenses beyond the first month.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program is designed for postdoctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. The program also offers an opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
Let’s let you know that the Abel Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by the Abel Prize in mathematics and about 3 Grants are available annually.
Details of Abel Visiting Scholar Program
- Application Deadlines: April 30, 2022, for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2022, and August 31, 2022, for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2023
- The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is usually offered annually
- Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
- Program Type: PhD
- Number of Awardees: Not Specified
- Scholarship Worth: it covers one month for the following Applicant’s expenses:
- Travel costs to the host nation. The flight will be paid for directly by the IMU Secretariat
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel health insurance
- Basic living costs
- Costs for Visa
A total amount of 5,000 USD per grantee.
Eligibility Criteria For Abel Visiting Scholar Program
- At the time of application, an applicant must hold a Ph.D. in Mathematics,
- All interested applicants must be resident in a developing country during the time of application
- He/She must hold a position in a university/ research institution to be eligible
- The applicant must be in the early stages of their professional careers, specifically, the applicants should:
- An applicant must not be of full professorial level but must have a working contract in a university
- Should be below 40 years of age on the day of the application deadline.
- Individuals with broken career patterns might have a maximum age increase of up to three years. The reason for a broken career must also be stated in the application.
- Women mathematicians are strongly encouraged to apply for this program
The Selection Process for Abel Visiting Scholar Program
Selection criteria for this program are based on the quality of the project and the benefit/added value for the home institution/country.
A selection committee usually decides which applications are successful. The Committee consists of:
- A member chosen by the Abel board
- Also, A member chosen by CDC, and
- A third member chosen by the IMU EC
Members committee time is 3 years for the members 2) and 3) with a maximum of two periods. Abel Board takes the decision for 1)
How to Apply for Abel Visiting Scholar Program
Interested and eligible applicants should take note of the following required documents:
- Completed Online Application Form: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/grants-online-application-form
- Curriculum Vitae, including a list of recent publications, 3 pages max for each)
- The student’s research plan for the visit
- Letter of the official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- A letter of recommendation if it’s not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- One copy of the Ph.D. certificate
- Statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer.
- Budget estimation.
- Also, must submit a picture of yourself for the company website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/abel-visiting-scholar-program/abel-visiting-scholar-2018)
- If you are planning to stay for more than one month you must attach a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution
Don’t forget to merge all required documents (except the picture of you) into one PDF file and upload it to the Online Application Form.
Late application will not be considered for evaluation. Thus, send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.