The WIC food packages offer supplemental foods that are designed to meet the special nutritional needs of low or no-income pregnant, non-breastfeeding, breastfeeding, postpartum women, infants, and children up to the age of five who are at nutritional risk.
WIC food packages and nutrition education are the major means by which WIC tends to affect the dietary quality and habits of the participants.
WIC provides foods that have highly nutritious contents (vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium, and protein) that are essential for mothers and their young children.
The aim of WIC is to ensure the health of the participants and their families by providing healthy foods and also supporting breastfeeding.
This program has helped a lot of mothers and children to be able to get the needed food for their good health.
WIC Food Packages
This Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federal assistance program of the Food and Nutrition Service of the United States Department of Agriculture for the healthcare and nutrition of low and no-income pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, and children that are five years and below.
Their mission is to team up with other services that are the key to childhood and the family well being.
The eligibility is based on different phases which include category, residents, income, and nutritional risk.
Eligibility Based On Category;
- First off you must be pregnant (during pregnancy and up to six weeks after giving birth or at the end of the pregnancy)
- Postpartum (up to six months after birth or the end of pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (up to the first birthday of the infants)
- Infants up to their first birthday
- Children that are five years of age and below
Eligibility Based On Income;
- For you to also be eligible, as an applicant your income must fall at or below the required minimum for the poverty income guideline
Eligibility Based On Your Resident;
- You must be residing in the state you are applying from for the WIC assistance
Eligibility Based On Nutritional Risk;
- You must be assessed by a qualified health professional (nutritionist, physician, or nurse) to know if you are at nutritional risk. The nutritional evaluation is usually based on height, growth, and weight assessment, as also your haemoglobin levels, diet, and general health history.
WIC Food Packages 2023
Below is the list of food items that are provided to the participants and they are listed according to their categories;
Food Items Women and Children
Below are the food items for women and children;
- Whole grain cereals
- Canned fish for women based on the mother’s breastfeeding status
- Low-fat or non-fat milk for women and children that are two years of age or older
- Low-fat cheese evaporated milk, plain yoghurt, evaporated goats milk, dry milk, or milk substitutes
- Tofu and soy beverages as alternatives for milk
- Whole milk yoghurt and whole milk for children that are one or two years
- 100% unsweetened fruit juice
- Whole wheat bread or other options of whole grain
- Canned beans, peanut butter options, or dry beans.
- Cash value voucher to purchase canned or frozen vegetables and fruits, for women and children
Food Items for Infants
Below are food items for infants (babies);
- Jarred baby meats for six months and above infants depending on the status of the infant’s breastfeeding
- Infant cereals for infants up
- Jarred vegetables for babies up to six months
- Fresh banana options for infants up to six months
- Infant formula based on the assessment of the mother and infant
- Cash value voucher to be able to buy fresh fruits and vegetables for infants up to nine months
To know more about the food items and cash value voucher given for the WIC food package kindly visit this link; https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/nutrition/wic/food_packages.htm.
Furthermore, to get information on how to apply for the WIC food packages kindly visit the link below; https://texaswic.org/apply
Who Qualifies For WIC?
Pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age five are eligible. They must meet income guidelines, and a state residency requirement, and be individually determined to be at “nutritional risk” by a health professional.
Is Alibaba more Profitable the Amazon?
Alibaba is cheaper, more profitable, and faster growing than Amazon. However, Amazon faces less political risk.
CHECK THIS OUT: