“Snap Benefits Texas”. The Texas SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) though formerly but still known as the food stamp program, is a federally sponsored program that assists no and low-income households or individuals with the cost of food.
The SNAP benefit supplies over 40 million Americans with food. The program ensures that low and no-income households can be able to get a balanced diet for healthy living. The main aim of the program is to eradicate hunger and poverty from the United States.
Snap Benefits Texas
Once you are able to pass the eligibility test for the SNAP benefits, you will be issued an EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card, which you can use to access your SNAP benefits. The EBT card is similar to our normal credit card.
The card is loaded once every month with the SNAP benefit till the certification period (the time limit of the benefits) usually six months but can be extended depending on the situation. Benefits of Snap.
The SNAP benefits are mainly meant for food and food-related items. Only in rare cases, money could be included in the SNAP benefit. With the use of your EBT card, you can purchase the benefits which are mainly food and food items.
Like I earlier said in grocery stores, some selected farmers market, and other retail stores that accept the use of EBT card. Once the SNAP benefit is exhausted you can always reapply, if you are still eligible you will receive another food stamp benefit.
Things You Can Buy With Your Snap Benefits
Below are some lists of the food items you can buy with your SNAP benefits;
- Vegetables and fruits
- Fish, meat, and poultry
- Dairy products
- Cereals and bread
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Soft drinks
- Energy drinks with nutritional labels
- Birthday cakes that should not be more than the fixed minimum for such
- Seeds or plants that can produce food for the household to eat
Things You Are Not Allowed To Buy With Your Snap Benefits
Below are the lists of items you are not permitted to buy with your SNAP benefit;
- Wine, beer, and any kind of liquor
- Cigarettes or any tobacco products
- Medicines, vitamins, and supplements. Please note that if an item is having a supplement facts label, it is also considered a supplement and will not be eligible for you to purchase it with your SNAP benefits.
- Live animals except for the types of shellfish, from water, and animals that are slaughtered for the purpose of pick up from the store.
- Foods that are prepared for instant consumption
- Hot foods
- Cosmetics and hygiene items
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper products
- Other household supplies are not accepted.
Apply Snap Benefits Texas
You can apply for the SNAP benefit in different ways depending on the one that suits you best. They are listed below;
- You can choose to do the online application as this is the easiest method
- You can apply in person by visiting any of their local office close to you
- You can also place a call to know if you will be able to apply through the phone
- You can even print an application form, fill it, and submit by mail or fax.
The fact is that SNAP has really gone a long way in helping a lot of people in Texas to be able to overcome hunger and poverty. To get more information on how to apply for Texas SNAP benefits kindly visit the following link; https://www.benefitscheckup.org/fact-sheets/factsheet_nutrition_tx_snap_program/#/