Stellenbosch University, in partnership with the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, is delighted to announce the availability of a limited number of full-time scholarships for Masters (full thesis) or Ph.D. studies in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The Stellenbosch University PhD Scholarships 2024 opportunity aims to support African students in pursuing advanced degrees and making significant contributions to various fields of study.
The scholarships cover a wide range of disciplines within the faculty, with a focus on research topics falling under the themes of African Cultural Studies, the Anthropocene and Ecocriticism, and Identity, Gender, and/or Queer Studies. This article will explore the details of these scholarships and provide valuable information for prospective applicants.
Stellenbosch University Ph.D. Scholarships
In its commitment to fostering academic excellence and promoting diversity, Stellenbosch University, located in South Africa, has collaborated with the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to offer a limited number of scholarships for African students pursuing postgraduate studies.
These scholarships aim to support individuals who wish to delve deeper into various disciplines within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, while also addressing research topics that align with the designated themes.
About Stellenbosch University
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Stellenbosch University is renowned for its comprehensive range of programs and research opportunities. With a strong focus on interdisciplinary studies, the faculty offers a vibrant academic environment where students can engage in critical thinking, innovative research, and intellectual discourse. It houses a diverse community of scholars, fostering collaboration and the exchange of ideas.
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Partnership
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, a prominent philanthropic organization dedicated to supporting the arts, humanities, and higher education, has partnered with Stellenbosch University to provide financial assistance to deserving African students. Through this collaboration, the foundation aims to promote equitable access to education and enable talented individuals to contribute to their respective fields of study.
Benefits of Stellenbosch University Ph.D. Scholarships
- Successful applicants will receive a scholarship worth of R357 500.00, over three years.
Someone will cover the student’s study fees and provide an allowance.
- The scholarship coverage may also include research activities together with the Candidate’s supervisor;
- MA scholarships: Up to R160 000, will be offered over a period of 18 months to two years.
- Additionally, the MA Scholarship fund covers the study fees and provides an allowance to successful Candidates.
Eligibility Criteria for Stellenbosch University Ph.D. Scholarships
- Candidates must have got a first-class distinction (75%+), in the final year of the previously completed degree.
- All Applicants should provide a sample of their writing with their application:
- MA thesis for Ph.D. applicants
- Honors research essay for MA applicants
The application requires any published academic articles related to it.
- Applicants must not be older than 30 years for a Masters’s scholarship and a maximum of 35 for a Ph.D.grant.
- Applicants must be commencing studies in February 2024
- In addition to the grant, the Candidate is expected to have applied to study at Stellenbosch University.
- Submit an existing record of publications;
- Awards or grants received;
- Relevant professional or artistic experience;
- Proficiency in any language in addition to English for academic purposes.
How to apply?
In addition to the grant application, Applicants must first apply for a study program at Stellenbosch University.
- To apply for a study opportunity click this link: http://student.sun.ac.za/
- The application process for the grant requires prospective students to complete an online application form.
- For more details, kindly visit the official website at: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/notices/DispForm.aspx
Documents Required for Application
- Official application forms can be accessed via this link: http://arts.sun.ac.za/graduate-scholarships
- A letter of the motivation letter (600 words maximum);
- A pre-proposal of 500 words maximum showing your proposed research question and conceptualization on any of the three project themes.
- Academic transcript;
- A copy Candidate’s Honours or MA degree certificate
- A copy of a South African ID or passport (for international students).
August 30, 2023
In conclusion, the Stellenbosch University 2024 Ph.D. Scholarships for African Students present a remarkable opportunity for individuals seeking to pursue advanced degrees in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Through this partnership with Andrew W.
Mellon Foundation, Stellenbosch University aims to nurture academic talent, encourage research excellence, and address critical issues within African Cultural Studies, the Anthropocene and Ecocriticism, and Identity, Gender, and/or Queer Studies.
CHECK THESE OUT: