The call for applications is now open for the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship 2024. Following Michael Jacobs’s passing in 2014, the Michael Jacobs Scholarship for Travel Chronicles was organized by the Gabo Foundation and the Hay Festival Cartagena de Indias.
A new edition of the call, funded by the Michael Jacobs Foundation for Travel Writing, a non-profit established by Michael’s brother and widow to honor his memory and advance travel writing in Spain and Latin America, opens this year to mark 10 years since the English writer’s passing.
Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship – Details
To promote travel writing, the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle scholarship, now in its tenth year, will award up to $10,000 for a travel book or article project, which must be centered around Spain / Latin America and will be published in Spanish or English.
When selecting the winner, the jury; consisting of two new members for this edition, will consider the projects’ journalistic depth and narrative strength. Travel journalism transcended mere anecdotal experience for Michael Jacobs, which is why works that may arouse the reader’s five senses and broaden their perspective are sought.
The winner is awarded with the following benefits:
- A financial award of up to $10,000 as a reward for helping to cover the costs of the winner’s article or book’s research and writing. The sum comprises the convening institutions’ and the beneficiary’s required taxes.
- Half of the scholarship ($5,000) will be given out when the winner is revealed, and the remaining $5,000 will be given when the project is finished and sent to the publisher for publication.
- The winner will receive an invitation to serve on the jury for the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship’s subsequent offering.
Requirements to apply
- Writers and journalists of any nationality are welcome to apply. Provided that their work focuses on Spanish- or English-language travel journalism in Latin America or Spain.
- A maximum of 800-word autobiography, written in either Spanish or English, detailing the applicant’s travel journalism experience and the reasons for his/her scholarship application. Resumes that follow certain conventions won’t be considered.
- A thorough overview of the project (book or article), including the work schedule, travel schedule, and project description. Either Spanish or English must be used to write the article or book.
- The proposed project doesn’t need to have been completed. Since the aim of the scholarship is to strengthen an ongoing project. However, applicants must send at least a fragment of the work, since the jury must evaluate the author’s narrative capacity.
Kindly Click the link below to apply for the Michael Jacobs Travel Chronicle Scholarship 2024
- Application link: https://postulaciones.fundaciongabo.org/app/login
- The official announcement of the winner will be made at the Hay Festival Cartagena de Indias 2024. Commencing from January 25 to 28.
- For more information, please visit the official website at https://fundaciongabo.org/es/actividad/beca-michael-jacobs-de-cronica-viajera-2024
December 15, 2023.
CHECK THESE OUT: