In this article, I would be giving you details on how to make use of Google Chat and more. Google Chat is one of the company’s new web messaging services and a replacement for Google Hangouts.
What is Google Chat
Google Chat is a continuation of what Hangout’s web messaging used to do. Google decided to add the Hangouts messaging history to your chat. However, Chat lacks some features like video conferencing, SMS/MMS texting, and Phone calls, which were supported in Hangouts.
The Google Chat features by Google make use of a Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption to protect your messages. This simply means that anyone that is trying to intercept your messages between you and Google would only be able to see encrypted, and unreadable text.
How to Set it Up
Setting up your Google Chat is as simple as logging into the service or app using your Google Account. While there are apps on your windows, ChromeOS and MacOs, you can make use of Google chat in a web browser without having to install any software. Making use of it in a web browser is also similar to using it in a desktop app.
Android and iOS users are expected to download the Google Chat app straight from the Google Play Store or from the Apple App store. Once installed, users should be able to app and then log in using their Google Account.
How to Send a Message on a Google Chat for PC or Mac
You can make use of Google Chat on your browser or the dedicated app. The steps below would apply to both the web app and desktop app on windows, macOS, Linus, and ChromeOS.
- Make sure to select the + icon above your chat contact list
- After that, type in the name or Gmail address of the contact you want to message and select the contact one that pop up
- Enter your message right on the chat box
- Enter your message in the chat box
- Then press enters on your keyboard. Alternatively, select the send icon using your mouse or on your touchscreen
- Also, you can make use of the steps stated above to start a group message or you can create space. Right after selecting the + icon, choose start group conversation or create space instead of searching for your contact.
- The Google chat carries a chronological history of all your recent chat conversations on the app’s left sidebar. Make use of this to quickly launch any recent chat conversation.
How to Send a Message in Google Chat for Android or iOS
The steps that I would be outlining below apply to the Google chat app on both Android and iOS devices.
- Select “New Chat” to begin a new conversation
- Search for the contact you would like to chat with or you can search for the Gmail address. Select the contact when they pop up.
- Enter your message on the text field located at the bottom of the chat
- Tap “sends”
- The Google chat available for Android and iOS presents a list of recent contacts when you launch the app. Tap any visible contact to resume a prior conversation.
What Does Idle Mean in Google Chat?
If an orange bubble appears next to someone’s name on Google chat, it simply means that they are idle, or they haven’t been active in Gmail or Google Chat for at least 5 minutes.
Is Google Chat Free?
Google Chat is available for free and at no cost for individuals that has Google Accounts.
How do I turn off History in Google Chat?
Right on top of the chat conversation, tap on the down arrow to launch the conversation options. After that, select the turn-off history.
Is Google Chat Private?
The content that you choose to share in your chat is private to you and those that you are chatting with on Google Chat.
Also Read: How to Make a Beacon in Minecraft