The world is changing believe it or not. And to live in today’s world you have to move in the same direction as the world. Life has gone beyond the point where you just have a basic knowledge of one particular skill, probably what you learn from college and still be able to live with that one knowledge all the days of your life.
The world we live in today is now a digital world and to survive you have no choice but to go digital and this is where the Google digital skill for Africa comes in. Now what exactly is Google Digital Skills for Africa or what does it mean?
Google Digital Skills for Africa
Getting a digital skill is something that is seen by so many as tedious and even next to impossible. Well, you won’t blame them for the above assumptions. Getting access to the various tools to learn a digital skill can be easily accessible in some regions while on the other hand, there are regions with limited access to learning digital skills. And of course, when you do get a chance or a place to learn these skills, it just might be too expensive. A perfect example of a place or region with limited access to digital skills is Africa.
Surprised by this, well you shouldn’t be. Most of the nations in the African continent are seen as underdeveloped or developing. With that being said, you will now agree with me that Africa has limited access to digital skills and at the same time making it a hotspot where digital skills are needed.
What Is The Google Digital Skill For Africa
Google Digital Skill for Africa is an initiative by Google in conjunction with its partners to teach and train young people across Africa in digital skills. This initiative will provide various tutorials to help young Africans succeed online in various aspects or fields.
It is no surprise that platforms in Africa that provide this training are scarce and expensive. People in Africa want to explore the Internet and all the benefits and opportunities it offers.
With this Google Digital Skill for Africa initiative is one of the best ways to get the desired skill you want to learn.
Online Courses for Google Digital Skills for Africa
There are countless courses listed for Google Digital Skills for Africa. However, below are some lists of courses you can consider:
Prepare for a new job
Courses to help you acquire the skills and knowledge needed for a new job or career change.
Develop communication skills
Courses focused on improving your verbal and written communication abilities, including public speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills.
Increase my productivity
Courses designed to enhance your time management, organization, and efficiency in both work and personal tasks.
Learn about digital marketing
Courses covering the fundamentals of digital marketing, including SEO, social media marketing, email marketing, and online advertising.
Learn coding & development skills
Training in programming languages and software development techniques, ranging from beginner to advanced levels.
Get started with cloud computing
Introduction to cloud computing platforms and services, enabling you to work with cloud-based applications and infrastructure.
Get started with artificial intelligence
Courses to introduce you to the basics of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and their applications.
Stay safe online
Cybersecurity and online safety courses to help you protect your personal information and stay secure on the internet.
Learn design skills
Courses on graphic design, user interface (UI) user experience (UX) design, and other creative design disciplines.
Improve my digital wellbeing
Training to help you strike a healthy balance between your digital and offline life, promoting well-being and mental health.
Courses focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion, helping you understand and advocate for diversity in the workplace and society.
Learn about sustainability
Educational content on sustainability practices and environmental awareness, addressing key issues related to climate change and conservation.
Courses List – Google Digital Skills for Africa
- Social Media Marketing: Teaches how to effectively market products or services on social media platforms.
- Mobile Marketing: Focuses on marketing strategies for mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.
- Content Marketing: Covers the creation and distribution of valuable content to attract and engage audiences.
- Email Marketing: Explores email marketing strategies for building and nurturing customer relationships.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization): Learn how to improve the visibility of websites in search engine results.
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing): Covers paid advertising on search engines like Google.
- Display Advertising: Teaches how to create and manage visual ads on various websites.
- Google Analytics: Provides insights into website traffic and user behaviour for data-driven decision-making.
- E-commerce: Focuses on strategies for selling products or services online.
- Web Optimization: Techniques to enhance website performance and user experience.
- Google My Business: How to create and manage a Google My Business listing for local businesses.
- Introduction to Coding: Basics of computer programming and coding.
- Mobile App Development: Covers the development of mobile applications for various platforms.
- Product Design: Principles and practices of designing products for user satisfaction.
- UX (User Experience) Design: Focuses on creating positive user experiences in digital products.
- UI (User Interface) Design: Covers the design of user interfaces for software and apps.
- Data and Tech for Campaigns: How to leverage data and technology for marketing campaigns.
- Introduction to Data Science: Basics of data analysis and interpretation.
- Machine Learning: Teaches the fundamentals of machine learning and its applications.
- Artificial Intelligence: Introduction to AI concepts and technologies.
- Cloud Computing: Covers cloud services and infrastructure.
Depending on your interests and career goals, you can choose courses that align with your objectives. However, you can check out the list above and make your choice.
Benefits Of Google Digital Skills For Africa
Now that you know what this platform is all about, you should have also learned of the various benefits and opportunities of the platform. But just in case you haven’t gotten the message by now, I will be telling you what you get to learn and gain from this program. The training you will get during this program will enable you to build businesses, create jobs, and even boost economic growth across the African continent. You get to discover great tools that will help your business to succeed improve your interview skills and also prepare you for the career you want.
Learn Digital Skills With Google
Learning digital skills with Google is great and it considers various steps which are really simple. All you need to do is choose a skill and learn at your own pace, and at the end of it all, you will get certified. There are various places and centres where you can do face-to-face learning. But just in case you are in a place where you can get access to a centre, you can learn online. So what are you waiting for today? Get started, and seize the opportunity. By learning digital skills with Google, you will get to explore how websites work and also get to build a strong online strategy for your business.
How To Apply For Google Digital Skill For Africa 2023
Below are ways to apply so far:
- Visit the Website: Go to the official Google Digital Skills for Africa website.
- Sign Up: Create an account or sign in if you already have one. You may need a Gmail account.
- Choose a Course: Browse through the available courses and select the one that suits your needs or interests.
- Enroll in the Course: Click on the course you want to take and enroll in it.
- Start Learning: Begin taking the course and complete the required modules and assessments.
- Certification: Once you’ve completed the course, you may be eligible for a certificate of completion, depending on the specific course.
- Apply for Jobs or Improve Skills: Use the knowledge and skills you’ve gained to apply for jobs or improve your career prospects.
How To Get Started With Google Digital Skills For Africa
Getting started with this program is easy and did I forget to mention to you that this program is free? Yes, it is free. To get started with this program you will need to first set up an account. To set up an account you will need to first, have a Google account in place. If you don’t have a Google account, you can create one here. If you already have a Google account in place, follow the steps below, to set up an account on this program;
- Visit Google Digital Skills For Africa on your device.
- On the Google Digital Skills for Africa platform, click on the sign-in with Google or sign-in with the Email tab.
- Choose the email account you want to use to set up your account on the next page.
- Click on the allow tab to allow web-miyagi.firebaseapp.com to have access to your account.
- Start your course on the next page.
That’s it! You can now start studying your online Google digital course online.
How To Become A Google Digital Skills Trainer
Becoming a digital skill trainer comprises various steps and requirements. You will need to have all the requirements in place before you can become a certified Google digital skill trainer. In other words, you will need to become a Google-certified trainer. To begin the process of becoming a certified Google trainer, follow the steps below;
The first step is the certified trainer course. In this first step, you have to work thoroughly through Google’s certified trainer course. There are a total of seven units and 20 lessons. Note that the first level of training will take you up to 10 hours to successfully complete. The second level on the other hand requires 12 hours.
The second step is the trainer skills assessment. You will have to first complete the certified trainer course to start with this one. This course exam is made up of 25 multiple-choice and matching questions. The fee for this exam is $15 and you will have 90 minutes to complete it.
Google certified educator level 1 and 2 exams are the third step in becoming a certified Google trainer. You must pass these exams successfully to move on to the next stage. Note that each of these exams takes up to 2-3 hours to complete successfully. The first level attracts a fee of $10 and it focuses on your ability to make use of Google’s tools in enhancing teaching and learning. The second step and level here test you in terms of cutting-edge strategies for integrating Google for education technology in classrooms. The cost of this exam is $25
The next step is for you to make a trainer video. This video should be at least 3 minutes in length. This video should show you showing off your skills in Google training. You should use the first minute to introduce yourself and your reasons for becoming a Google trainer. The next two minutes should be used in teaching at least one method for applying any of Google’s products in an educational setting.
The next step is where you now apply. Before you apply make sure that you have all of the above in place. When applying, you will also provide answers to some questions the questions asked will be focused on your previous experiences. Therefore with the latter being said, it is important that you have previous experiences before applying.
After applying, it will take up to 4-6 weeks before your application will be replied to. Just in case you are not accepted, you can reapply again. Just in case your application is accepted, you will need to maintain your status as Google certified trainer. To maintain your status;
- You will need to conduct and report at least 12 coaching sessions per annum.
- Resubmit your interest annually with a product update assessment.
- Lastly, you will have to share resources and ideas with Google’s community of trainers.
Is Digital skills free?
Some platforms offer free-of-cost online courses comprising hands-on exercises and quizzes with a strong trainee support system to help trainees develop the skills they need to succeed in the field of freelancing.
Can I take a Google course for free?
Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned small business, Google offers free online courses to help you make the most of the web.
How do you write digital skills on a CV?
You can include your digital skills in the section of your CV dedicated to work experience, were
How do I choose a digital skill to learn?
- Research the skills you are interested in
- Make A List of the skills you want
- Compare And Contrast The Importance Of The Listed Skills To Your Profession
- Get A Mentor
- Be Consistent and Committed
CHECK THESE OUT:
- Welcome To Your New Google Digital Skills For Africa
- Certified Cyber Security: Cyber Security Certification | Cyber Security Jobs
- Google for Africa 2021 – Google Plans to Support African Founders
- Google for Africa 6 October 2021 Register Now – How to Register for Google for Africa
- Learn Africa Scholarships 2023/2024 For Young African Women – Apply Now(