The 2024 Cultural Survival Indigenous Youth Fellowship application form is out. Since 1972, Cultural Survival has been a stalwart defender of Indigenous Peoples’ rights and has provided support for their self-determination, cultures, and political resilience.
Their Indigenous Youth Fellowship Project was established to empower young Indigenous leaders, aged between 17 to 28, by helping them create and share knowledge through innovative means and critical thinking.
Cultural Survival Indigenous Youth Fellowship 2024
The program offers an opportunity for fellows to develop their abilities in areas such as Indigenous rights, languages, cultures, and traditional knowledge.
By working on their proposed projects, fellows can represent the voices of their respective communities, and increase awareness of local issues at global forums, while also reinforcing their cultural identities and leadership potential.
Area Of Focus
The program’s focus area is centred on the world’s current challenges in mitigating the impacts of natural resource exploitation on the planet’s well-being. With the increasing demand for transition minerals (such as nickel, lithium, cobalt, and copper) required for manufacturing electric vehicles, wind turbines, and solar panels.
There is significant pressure to shift towards renewable energy sources for a green, low-carbon economy. However, these minerals are primarily found on or near Indigenous territories, leading to frequent violations of their rights.
Moreover, climate change-induced natural disasters, coupled with extractive industries, have adversely affected local ecosystems, causing deforestation, erosion, and water contamination due to the infiltration of harmful chemicals into the soil.
Indigenous communities worldwide are directly affected by the extraction of these transition minerals and climate change-related disasters. This call to action aims to promote response projects from Indigenous youth that counteract or mitigate these situations.
- The fellowship offers a financial range of $2,500 to $6,000.
- The Indigenous Youth Fellowship Project welcomes applications from Indigenous youth between the ages of 17 and 28.
- Applicants should be residents of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Panama, South America, Nepal, India, Bangladesh, DRC, Uganda, Kenya, Nigeria, Mali, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Taiwan, Indonesia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Sweden, Finland, Greenland, or Norway.
- Access to the internet is essential for participation, as fellows will collaborate with others and engage in video conferences.
- Women and underrepresented genders, including cis women, trans women, trans men, Two-Spirits, non-binary individuals, and marginalized genders, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Past recipients of a Cultural Survival grant will not receive priority consideration.
- If Indigenous youth wish to be involved in this opportunity. They are required to complete a form that includes basic details about their proposed project. To obtain the form, kindly click on the link provided here.
- Cultural Survival will evaluate the applications in multiple phases. Selected applicants will be invited to proceed to the second phase. They will be asked to provide a detailed proposal narrative, including a proposed budget. The finalists will then undergo interviews in the third and final stage.
- During the initial review stage, unsuccessful applicants will receive notification within three months. Similarly, during the second stage, unselected applicants will be notified within three months regarding their full narrative proposals.
- The fellowship awarding process may take up to 6 months to be completed.
For further information please visit Cultural Survival Indigenous Youth Fellowship official website.
November 30, 2023.
CHECK THESE OUT:
- UN OHCHR Indigenous Fellowship Program 2024 | Geneva, Switzerland
- Blizzard Teases New Survival Game
- People’s Tax Relief Review – Is People’s Tax Relief Recommended?
- Should the IPhone Notch Stay Or Go – Peoples View on the iPhone Notch
- Lagos State Bursary/Scholarship Board Award 2023/2024 – APPLY NOW
- PlayStation Plus Games for March