Submissions are now open for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2024! The prize is inviting all eligible citizens of a Commonwealth country aged 18 and above, to participate by submitting a piece of unpublished short fiction of 2,000 –5,000 words. This annual award is not just an accolade but a testament to the power of storytelling.
The Short Story Prize is administered and funded by the esteemed Commonwealth Foundation, This prize spans the vast expanse of the Commonwealth regions, including Africa, Asia, Canada and Europe, the Caribbean, and the Pacific. The anticipation for this literary honor is building as we explore the details.
Before we explore the intricacies of this prestigious award, let’s shed some light on the organization behind it; the Commonwealth Foundation (CF).
About Commonwealth Foundation
The Commonwealth Foundation (CF) was established in 1966 by the Commonwealth Heads of Government. The foundation found its home at Marlborough House in London, a location once assigned by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II herself.
As an intergovernmental organization, CF operates in tandem with its sister organization, the Commonwealth Secretariat. It has a mission to champion civil society and participatory governance through its programs.
The Commonwealth Foundation is funded by 49 member states and serves as a bridge between civil society and governing institutions. More Importantly, CF’s membership is voluntary and separate from the Commonwealth of Nations.
Commonwealth Short Story Prize – Benefits
- The Commonwealth Short Story Prize is not just a singular honor; Its recognition spans across diverse regions.
- Up to five winners will emerge, with one representing each of the five regions.
- One regional victor rises to claim the title of the overall winner, an accolade that comes with a substantial £5,000 prize.
- The remaining four regional winners are not left empty-handed; they are each awarded £2,500.
- In the event that the winning short story is translated into English, the translator is also acknowledged with additional prize money.
Qualifications for Entry
Let’s discuss the qualifications required for interested candidates to participate in the Commonwealth Short Story Prize:
- Entrants should be citizens of a Commonwealth country or stateless persons currently residing in a Commonwealth country. If you’re a citizen of non-Commonwealth countries, you are not eligible.
- Entries will be judged based on the writer’s country of citizenship. In cases of dual citizenship within two Commonwealth countries, the entry’s evaluation will be in the region where the writer is permanently resident.
- Age Requirement: Entrants must be aged 18 years or over on 1 November 2023.
- The Commonwealth Foundation, in consultation with the prize chair, will exercise judgment on questions of eligibility. The chair’s ruling is final, with no further correspondence on this matter.
- Previous winners of the Commonwealth Short Story Prize are not eligible. Likewise, entrants who have clinched the regional prize three times are also not eligible.
- Current members of staff at the Commonwealth Foundation are not eligible to apply
- All entries must be unpublished and remain so in any language until 1 May 2024. If your entry has been shortlisted or won a prize in other competitions, it remains eligible as long as it has not been published.
How to Apply for Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2023?
So, if you meet these eligibility criteria and are ready to share your untold stories with the world, here’s how to apply:
- Visit Commonwealth Foundation(CF) at https://commonwealthfoundation.com/submit-to-the-prize/ to access the application portal and submit your entries.
- You can also visit the official Commonwealth website given below for more details http://commonwealthfoundation.com/short-story-prize/
The deadline for submissions is November 2, 2023.
More Related Content
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2024 – APPLY NOW
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2024 in UK | APPLY NOW
- Open Mental Health Grants 2023: Grants Between £5,000 to £10,000
- Association of Commonwealth Universities Early Career Conference Grants 2023
- Top 10 Highly Paid Scholarships for International Students 2022/23
- Common Wealth Scholarship in the UK with Visa Sponsorship – Apply Now