BIGSAS-Scholarships 2024 – The Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies, BIGSAS, is calling upon outstanding African women scholars based in Africa, to become a part of an international community of young researchers whose work is in the areas of African Studies.
For the 2024 academic year, BIGSAS is set to award up to two (2) scholarships awards within the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP), provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
These scholarships are highly prestigious and offer a fantastic opportunity for African women scholars to further their academic pursuits.
The BIGSAS-scholarship program encompasses the following key points:
- Nomination: BIGSAS will nominate candidates who have successfully passed the BIGSAS application procedure. The final selection for the scholarship will be made by the DAAD.
- Commencement: The scholarship periods begin in October 2024 at the earliest. This includes a German language course, which may start in summer 2024, if applicable. BIGSAS scholarships are awarded for a duration of four (4) years.
- Applicants must possess a very good Master’s or equivalent degree.
- Candidate’s recent Master’s or equivalent degree should be obtained within the last six years.
- Your application must be accompanied by two reports (letters of recommendation) from academic teachers in your past study programme(s) who know you reasonably well. You can use the DAAD template for these recommendations.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for over fifteen months at the time of nomination are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants may submit their applications in English, German, or French. But note that BIGSAS’s official working language is English.
Application Process for BIGSAS-Scholarships 2024
Qualified Candidates should follow the steps below to apply for BIGSAS-Scholarships 2024:
- First, ensure that you fulfill the basic application requirements before proceeding to apply
- Identify a supervisor for your doctoral research project at BIGSAS. This is a crucial step in the application process.
- Finally, complete your application according to the guidelines provided.
- Apply via this link https://www.bigsas.uni-bayreuth.de/en/application/index.html
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I reach out to BIGSAS Members prior to my application?
Yes, you can! You’re required to provide a supervision agreement as specified at the application process (step 2)
In which language can I apply for this Scholarship?
You can apply either in English, French, or German. In the situation where your Master’s thesis or equivalent is written in any other language, kindly upload an English or French summary (5-10 pages) including your thesis.
When is the deadline for the BIGSAS-Scholarships application?
Applications for this award are not bound to a deadline. Qualified Candidates can apply year-round.
Do I need a certified copy of my certificates?
Yes! You need to provide certified copies of your certificates. Before admission, you should upload a scan then after admission, provide the original certificates. This will help your enrollment at the University of Bayreuth.
Who should write the recommendation letters? Must the letter translated? In which language?
You are expected to submit two letters of reference by persons in charge of your academic education. All recommendation letters should be written in English, French, or German and include name, title, university/institute, department, and the author’s signature.
Am I still eligible to reapply if my application has been rejected?
Yes, you may apply one more time.
I already have a PhD. Can I do a second one here?
Yes, you may apply even though you’ve already completed a doctoral program elsewhere.