Amazingly, the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program (HSAFP) is usually offered annually, thereby presenting a pathway to actualizing such dreams. Having an opportunity to study at Harvard University would be a dream come through for a number of African students.
About Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program (HSAFP)
Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program was established to provide educational enrichment for men and women in mid-career.
These individuals occupy most occupations that have shown good skill in their chosen fields and leadership and are expected to benefit from advanced training.
Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program was founded in 1979 by President Derek Bok to address the needs of South Africans who were denied access to advanced education by the apartheid system.
This fellowship is still intended, for mid-career professionals educationally disadvantaged by past laws and resource allocations in South Africa. The fellowship seeks to expand its reach to institutions and organizations across South Africa in a continued effort to draw the broadest possible range of candidates for the program.
Also, the University has expanded its applicant pool to extend to all South Africans, regardless of ethnicity or race.
Summary of Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program (HSAFP)
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2022
- Eligible Countries: South Africans and Individuals who are Permanent Residents of South Africa.
- Study In: USA
- Type: Fellowship (Academic)
- Number of scholarships: Not specified
Requirements for Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program
The following candidates stated below are eligible for Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program:
- All Candidates who have just completed, or who have not yet completed, a first degree are not selected unless this degree has been pursued concurrently with, or subsequent to, experience in the workplace.
- Usually, the age criteria for Fellows range from 30 to 45 years.
- It is compulsory that Fellows must be South African citizens.
- Fellows are required to submit their applications directly to the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program at Harvard University.
- The interview will be conducted by a committee of HSAFP alumni, Center staff, and the CAS Faculty Director in South Africa.
- Upon Successful interview, candidates must then apply to and be admitted to the specific Harvard school where they intend to study.
- It is important that applicants determine in advance whether, if awarded a fellowship, they can be granted leave by their employers for Harvard’s academic year.
- Applicants should plan to be in residence at Harvard from September until June. Although some programs require fellows to begin residence on July 1st.
- Candidates should not accept an interview unless assured that such leave will be granted. It is not the wish of the Center to assign fellowships to anyone who subsequently finds it impossible to use the opportunity.
Selection Criteria for Harvard South Africa Fellowship
It is necessary to understand the selection process involved, Fellows are selected based on the displayed considerable skill in their chosen fields, and are expected to benefit from advanced training.
Worth and Duration of Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program
It is a year’s fellowships of study (2022-2023) in one of Harvard’s Professional Schools or Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. The institution provides tuition waivers once fellows are admitted.
The office of the president provides General administrative funds for program management, stipends, and airfare for the fellow, they’re then administered by the Center for African Studies, under the directorship of Professor John Mugane.
How to Apply for Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program 2022
Click this webpage for admission to Harvard: https://africa.harvard.edu/admission-harvard
For application instructions, visit the webpage below: https://africa.harvard.edu/application
To find out the terms of the fellowship, visit this page: http://africa.harvard.edu/terms-fellowship
FAQ of Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program: https://africa.harvard.edu/faqs
Ensure you carefully review all application processes & FAQs on the Award Webpage below before applying.
The official Program Webpage: https://africa.harvard.edu/south-africa-fellowship-program