Do you want to know more about the Amex credit card? If yes, this article is for you. We will provide you with all the information about the Amex card.
Amex Credit Card
The American Express card, also called the Amex Card, is an electronic payment card issued by the financial services company American Express. The company issues prepaid, charge, and credit cards. The cards are available to individuals and businesses in the United States and around the world.
Banks process most of the transactions, but not all of them are controlled by the bank. Companies such as Rupay and Visa help banks manage the transactions between banks and sellers. Transactions are issued and approved by American Express. The company has its own processing network that competes with top card companies like MasterCard. They make money by processing network transactions and selling interest-bearing products.
However, transactions processed by American Express take a service fee from both the seller and the card owner. With this, the company generates revenues from these services.
Key Features of Amex Cards
- Amex cards are available to individuals as both credit and debit cards issued by American Express. Individuals can also get charge cards and are eligible for monthly credit.
- Amex cards are known for the great benefits that come with them. Points are offered on transactions, which can later be converted to air miles.
- American Express is one of the companies that issue cards, and they have a network that can be used to process card payments. Other companies, such as Visa and MasterCard, have their own processing networks, but they don’t issue cards.
- Amex collaborates with other top financial institutions to come up with great offers and rewards to attract customers to use their services.
Types of Amex Cards
American Express offers both credit and prepaid cards to a large range of both individual and commercial customers. Also, the company provides charge cards and offers monthly credit with card balances that must be cleared each month.
American Express credit cards offer numerous benefits in the form of points, the value of which is determined by the annual fee charged. The cards may offer cash back on different purchases, but they aren’t among the best cards that issue cash back currently available. American Express offers prepaid debit cards, which can be used as gift cards and special-purpose reloadable payment cards. American Express credit cards are grouped into three categories: cash-back cards, travel and dining cards, and points cards for everyday spending.
Some credit cards issued by American Express include:
- American Express Platinum Card
- American Express Blue Business Card
- American Express Business Gold Card
- Amex Everyday credit card
Amex Card Credit Score
What credit score is needed to apply for an Amex credit card? Though American Express doesn’t publicize a minimum credit score, applicants with a credit score of 680 and above are likely to qualify. A good credit score will give you great access to an Amex card. However, there are other requirements that are considered when applying for the Amex card.
Amex Credit Card Fees
American Express generates a large portion of its revenue annually from transaction processing. Many businesses and individuals make use of Amex cards and are ready to pay the transaction fees that come with the payment processing since they know the benefits that come with using American Express as a payment choice.
Amex credit card annual fees tend to be high: $95 for the Blue Cash Preferred Card $99 for the Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card, $150 for the Green Card, $250 for the Gold Card, and $550 for the Platinum Card. Amex Let’s see fees charged based on how you use your card.
Some cards charge a transfer fee when you move debt from one account to another. You will pay 3% to 5% of the amount you transfer. That is, if you transfer $10,000, you can pay a balance transfer fee of $300 to $500.
Cash Advance Fee
If you use your credit card to get cash, you are likely to pay an advance cash fee of 2% to 5% of what you withdraw. Cash advances are typically charged at a higher rate than purchases, and ATM fees may be included. Advance cash fees can usually be avoided unless you are facing a true emergency situation.
Foreign Transaction Fee
This fee is charged by some credit cards when you use the card outside the United States. You can be charged as much as 3% of your purchase in U.S. dollars. You can even be charged if you are in the U.S. and you purchase something from outside the country. A better way to avoid paying this fee is to apply for a no-foreign transaction fee credit card.
Amex Card Advantage
The Amex card is the ideal card for both individuals and business owners. The card offers lots of benefits to its user, some of which are listed below:
A welcome offer
American Express offers welcome offers to users in this way: you earn 60,000 membership points when you spend $4,000 on purchases with your new card within the first six months of card membership. Terms and conditions may apply, though.
No foreign transaction fees
Some credit cards may charge about 3% to 5% when you use your card outside the United States. But cards like the American Express Gold Card do not charge.
Great offers and rewards
Amex cards offer rewards and deals that may be useful if you travel frequently for business or pleasure. Also, the card offers a high spending limit.
Numerous reward redemptions
Membership reward points earned when using your Amex Card can be redeemed in a variety of ways. You can redeem them through statement credits, gift cards, and even on Amazon.com.
Amex Card Application
You can get an Amex card from the American Express website; it is very easy. But without applying for the card, it will not be possible. When you apply for the card, if you meet the requirements, you will be issued the card. We will provide you with all the information you need on the application process.
How to Apply for an Amex Credit Card
Applying for an Amex credit card is not difficult; you need to be at least 21 years old, have a social security number, and have a source of income. Once you meet this requirement, you can proceed to apply for the credit card by following the steps listed below:
- Connect your device to the internet.
- Open the page www.americanexpress.com/us/ on your device.
- Once the page opens, pick the card you want and click on it.
- A new page will open; locate “apply now” and click on it.
- Once the new page opens, complete the form with the details required, some of which include your full name, date of birth, zip code, and email.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions on the website.
- Click on the “Continue” button if you are okay with the terms and conditions.
Follow the other instructions to complete the application process.
Amex Card Activation
After you apply for the Amex card and meet the requirements, you will be issued the card. But before you can make use of the card, you need to activate it to make it work. The card activation process is not difficult. We will guide you on how to activate the card.
How to Activate Your American Express Credit Card
Follow the steps below to activate your Amex credit card.
- On your device, for Android users, open the Google Play Store, while for Apple users, open the App Store.
- Using the search bar, search for American Express.
- Click on the first result and download the app.
- Once the download is complete, open the app.
- Enter your credit card information.
- Create a user ID with a password you can remember.
- Set a PIN of your choice to activate your card.
Amex Card Sign Up
Amex card allows you to sign up on in other to have an account on the American Express Website. When you sign up, you can have access to different features which will help you manage your Amex card and your American Express account.
How to Sign Up for Your Amex Card Account
The process to sign up for your Amex card account is easy. Follow the steps listed below:
- Open the website: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/gce/us/action/home on your device
- Once the site opens, input your 15-digit card number.
- Input your 4-digit ID for your card.
- Once you have completed the form, click on the “Continue” button.
Follow the procedures on the website to complete the account signup.
American Express Account Sign In
If you have an account on the American Express website, in order to access it and gain control, you must first log in. The login process is easy and can be completed in five simple steps. We will show you the steps needed to log in.
How to Login to Your American Express Card Account
Once you have successfully signed up for your Amex account, you may be required to login. Follow the steps below to login to your account:
- Connect your device to the internet and open a browser.
- Open this page: http://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/account/login? on your device.
- Once the page opens, fill in your user ID and password in the fields meant for them.
- Check the “remember me” box to save your password.
- Click the “Log in” button to submit your login information.
America Express Customer Service
America Express has a customer service option available on their website. In case you have any issues with your credit card account, you can easily contact their customer service. Even if you have any complaints about their services, you can actually lodge them with their customer service. You can follow the steps below to access their customer service;
- Connect your device to the internet and open any browser of your choice
- Open the page https://www.americanexpress.com/?inav=NavLogo on your device
- Once the page opens, on the navigation bar, locate and click on help
- On the new page, locate and click on contact us
- Once the new page opens, find the option that matches your complain and click on it
- Once it drops down a phone number will be displayed
Ensure you make use of the numbers to reach out to the American Express comp
Frequently Asked Questions on Amex Credit Cards
Which financial company issues Amex credit cards?
Amex credit cards are issued by American Express, a financial services company.
Is it Hard to Get an Amex Credit Card?
Yes, it is hard to get an Amex card. It required a good or excellent credit card to get approval when you applied for the card.
What is the highest Amex credit card to get?
The highest Amex card to get is the American Express Centurion Card. This card is only available to customers who spend at least $100,000 per year, and an application is required.
Can anyone apply for an Amex card?
Yes, but before you can apply, you must be 21 years of age or older, have a source of income, and have a good credit score before you can apply for an Amex card.