AIMS South Africa in collaboration with the National Research Foundation (NRF) and the South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO), is inviting eligible African Students to apply for its Master’s funding opportunity in Machine learning for Bioacoustics.
The number of scholarships offered is for one, for a Master’s Student to work in the field of machine learning and bioacoustics. Successfully selected students will share office space with a collaborative and energetic team of researchers in the city of Muizenberg, South Africa at AIMS.
In the course of the project, students will utilize audio soundscape data recorded in China, containing vocalizations of the world’s rarest primate, the Hainan gibbon. The student will carry out an investigation on how to advances in deep learning can be applied to bioacoustics problems, Specifically, on how the sounds of animals are automatically detected.
Details About AIMS Masters Scholarship 2023
- Type: Postgraduate
- Host Organization: African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
- Eligible Courses: Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Statistics
- Duration: Two years
- Country: South Africa
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: February 20, 2023
Benefits of AIMS Masters Scholarship 2023
- The scholarship value of around R 172 900 per annum will be provided to the student for a maximum period of two (2) years.
- Grant to cover a once-off travel to the value of R 15 000 for the student to participate in a workshop/conference that is related to their research over the two (2) years of the scholarship award.
- Grant for a laptop to the value of R20,000 for the student to purchase a laptop required for their research.
- The scholarship funding will enable AIMS to facilitate accommodation, and living expenses including breakfast, lunch and dinner for the student.
About African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
AIMS is the acronym for the “African Institute for Mathematical Sciences”. The institute is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for post-graduate training, research and public engagement in mathematical sciences.
AIMS provides the enablement for Africa’s brightest students to become innovators that propel scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The Organization has the vision to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society.
How to Apply for AIMS Master’s Scholarship 2023
- The application process is very simple and brief, kindly send your application as a single PDF file to [email protected] on or before the deadline mentioned below
- For more details, visit the AIMS website at: https://aims.ac.za/research-opportunities/
Eligibility Criteria for AIMS Masters Scholarship 2023 Qualification
To be eligible to apply for AIMS Master’s funding opportunity in Machine learning for Bioacoustics;
- Ideal Candidates must be South African or a national from one of the eight (8) Square Kilometre Array (SKA) African partner countries
- These countries include; Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia
- Students from either of the above-mentioned countries must be holding a study permit/ permanent residency in South Africa.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
Selection Criteria for AIMS Masters Scholarship
- Good knowledge of machine learning.
- Strong Python programming skills.
- Willingness and desire to apply machine learning to bioacoustics and to learn about the field of acoustic ecology.
- Readiness to share knowledge and work in a collaborative and respectful manner.
- Good communication skills
- Successfully shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an online interview.
Documents Required for Application
- Complete CV,
- Proof of bachelor completion,
- A Cover letter Showing the candidate’s experience in programming and machine learning, availability to start, and interest in the project.
February 20, 2023
CHECK THIS OUT: