You can now Remove Your Images From Google Search Results
“We know that kids and teens have to navigate some unique challenges online, especially when a picture of them is unexpectedly available on the internet,” Google said on Wednesday.
In summary of Google‘s post, minors or their guardians can fill out a form with search result queries, image URLs and URLs of search result pages. It was also noted that this doesn‘t mean the images will be removed entirely from the internet.
How to Get a Minor‘s Image Removed From Google Search Results
The term ‘minor‘ can legally be defined as anyone under the age of 18. As a minor, you can now request Google to remove your pictures from Google images. This includes if you are the minor in the image or the minor‘s parent or guardian.
The Action Does Not Remove The Images Entirely From The Internet
The image/images will no longer appear in the image tabs or as thumbnails in Google search results once it is removed by Google. Despite that, the action does not remove the images entirely from the internet, just from google search results. The best way to entirely remove your image is to work with a website to remove the image itself.
How to Remove Pictures From Google Images If You Are A Minor
- Head to the Google‘s Request to remove your personal information on Google
- Choose the appropriate option from the list of options given to explain your request.
- From the first option, tap ‘remove information you see in Google search.
- From the next option, you can either choose ‘Google‘s search results and on a website‘ or ‘only in Google‘s search results.
- The next question will ask you if you have contacted the site‘s website owner. You can then choose the appropriate answer from the list of ‘yes‘, ‘no‘ or ‘I prefer not to‘. If you proceed to answer ‘no, how do I do that?‘, you will be shown a quick tutorial on how to contact a webmaster.
- On the next page asking what you want to remove, simply tap ‘imagery of an individual currently under the age of 18‘ and then choose whether it is explicit or not.
- On the next page, you will be required to submit some personal information and other information like the URL of the image(click here to search how to find the URL of an image), a link to the search result page, and some terms you can use to get to the search result page. You will also be required to upload screenshots of the images to be removed. Click done and submit.
All this information will be used by Google to process your request.