The College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA) is inviting Women surgeons in the Sub-Saharan Africa region to apply for the 2023 edition of the Women Surgical Residents Scholarship.
This Scholarship is designed to address the severe shortage of surgeons in Sub-Saharan Africa. Recent research reveals that there are only 0.5 surgeons for every 100,000 people. It’s alarming that although Women make up more than 50 per cent of the population, they only represent 7 per cent of the surgical workforce.
Therefore, as a step towards addressing this problem, the American College of Surgeons (ACS) in partnership with the College of Surgeons of East, Central, and Southern Africa (COSECSA) have created the Women Surgical Residents scholarship program to support women in surgical residency and to help them complete their training, and encourage other women in medicine to consider surgery as a profession.
Summary of the ACS/COSECSA Women Surgical Residents Scholarship
- Type: Postgraduate Fellowship Program
- Eligible Country: African Countries
- Eligible: Women only
- Application status: Open
- Scholarship Worth: $500
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2023
The College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa or COSECSA as it’s mostly called, is a non-profit making Organization that promotes postgraduate education in surgery.
It also provides surgical training throughout the East, Central and Southern African regions.
The College is renowned for its delivery of a rigorous surgical training programme with an examination and an internationally recognized surgical qualification in its Membership programme in Basic Surgery and Fellowship Programme in Orthopedics; Pediatric orthopaedics; Otorhinolaryngology; Urology; Pediatric Surgery; Neurosurgery; Cardiothoracic and Plastic Surgery
COSECSA was borne out of the Association of Surgeons of East Africa (ASEA) which was Previously inaugurated in Nairobi, Kenya in November 1950. It was in 1996 that the ASEA decided to create COSECSA in response to perceived inadequacies of surgical training in the region.
Financial Benefits of ACS/COSECSA Women Surgical Residents Scholarship
Each Women’s Surgical Residents scholarship is worth $500.
Usually, the number of awards issued will depend on the quality of applications and the available funds
How to Apply for the Women Surgical Residents Scholarship 2023?
- To apply, ensure that you meet the requirements for the Women Surgical Residents scholarship.
- Qualified Candidates can proceed to apply by visiting the official webpage of the College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA) at: cosecsa.org
- All required documents must be attached to the application before submission
Eligibility Criteria for ACS/COSECSA Women Surgical Residents Scholarship Qualification
- To be eligible, the applicant must be a junior female surgical trainee enrolling in the COSECSA surgical fellowship program and
- Must be Sub-Saharan African
Documents Required for Application
- A personal statement showing future goals.
- Current Curriculum vitae.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s surgical training program director.
February 15, 2023
CHECK THIS OUT:
- University College London (UCL) Global Master’s Scholarship 2023 – How to Apply Now
- Bournemouth University Academic Excellence Scholarship In United Kingdom – How to Apply Now
- Goldsmiths University of London Scholarships 2023 for International Undergraduates – How to Apply!
- Barry University Stamps Scholars Program 2023 For Undergraduate Students – How to Apply Now