If you want your application for a UK business visa to be successful; I am sure you do, you must meet all the requirements before submitting your application.
Submitting your application shows you have met all the requirements but if you have not and you go ahead to submit your application, it will be timely rejected and you have to reapply. To avoid visa rejection, we have put together all the UK business visa requirements, you can use this article as your guide when applying for your visa.
Types of UK Business Visas
The UK has different visa types under the business visa category, each visa type has its requirements and is suitable for a particular scenario, to choose the right one, you need to understand the conditions attached to each visa type.
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur visa)
- Purpose: This visa is for you if you are looking to invest in or establish a business in the UK.
- Investment requirement: You need a minimum investment of £200,000.
- Business plan: To get the visa, you also need a comprehensive business plan.
- Business registration: You must register your business in the UK.
Tier 1 (Investor visa)
- Purpose: This visa is for you if you are a high-net-worth individual and you want to make substantial financial investments in the UK.
- Investment requirement: You need at least £2 million to invest in the UK.
- Investment location: Your funds must be held in a regulated financial institution.
Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer visa)
- Purpose: This is for you if you are an employee of a multinational company transferring to a UK branch.
- Job offer: You must have a job offer from a UK branch of your overseas employer.
Sole Representative Visa
- Purpose: This visa is for employees of overseas companies planning to establish a branch or subsidiary in the UK.
- Sole representative: For you to get this visa, you must be recruited and employed outside the UK by the parent company.
There are other types of visas offered by the UK government like the Exceptional talent visa and general visa but the ones we listed here are more business-focused.
General UK Business Visa Requirements
To apply for any of these visa types, you need to meet the following requirements
You cannot apply for a visa if you do not have a passport, make sure that your passport is valid throughout your intended stay in the UK.
This is also another essential requirement, you must demonstrate that you have enough financial resources to support yourself and any dependents during your stay in the UK.
English language proficiency
Depending on the visa type, your country of origin, and your business situation, you may need to prove your proficiency in the English language through an approved test.
Tuberculosis (TB) test
Citizens of some countries are required to undergo a TB test as part of the visa application, if you are from such a country, you have to carry out the test and submit your test result.
Criminal record check
Even though you are coming to the UK to invest your resources in the country’s labor market, you still need to provide a criminal record certificate from your home country.
Specific requirements for each visa type
As we already stated, each visa type has its specific requirements, some of which you can find below.
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur visa)
- Investment funds: For you to qualify for this type of visa, you must have a minimum of £200,000 in investment funds.
- Business plan: You must submit a comprehensive business.
- Business registration: You must also register your business in the UK.
Tier 1 (Investor visa)
- Investment capital: To be eligible for this visa, you need a substantial investment of at least £2 million in the UK. That’s a lot of money.
- Financial institution: Additionally, the investment funds must be held in a regulated financial institution.
Sole Representative visa
- Employment: To qualify for this visa, you should be employed by a company outside the UK with the role of establishing and operating a registered branch or subsidiary in the UK.
If you meet the eligibility criteria of any of the visa types listed above, you can follow the steps below to apply.
You should start by completing the online application form accurately and truthfully. Do not make false claims in your visa application form.
After filling out the application form and attaching all required documents, you need to pay the application fee. The amount you will pay depends on the visa type you are applying for.
Once you make your payment, you can book an appointment at a Visa Application Center (VAC) to provide your biometric data.
Interview (if required)
Depending on your circumstances and the visa type you are applying for, the visa officers may ask you to come for an interview. Prepare thoroughly for the interview by reviewing your application and supporting documents.
After completing the application process, the UK authorities will assess your application and make a decision. If their response is positive, you can then move to the UK for your business, if it’s negative, you can reapply after resolving the reason for rejection.
If you want to get your business visa application approved fast, start the application well ahead of your planned travel date, organize and submit all the required documents, and ensure that they meet the specifications of your chosen visa category.
Aside from meeting the visa requirement, the key to getting your visa approved is submitting a complete application. Make sure you have all the required documents before submitting your application.