The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family are thrilled to announce the call for entries for the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling.
This prestigious award aims to recognize and empower emerging journalists in Africa who are dedicated to amplifying the voices of the people and shedding light on the transformative changes occurring on the continent. This award is a tribute to Michael Elliott, a remarkable editor, philanthropist, and former ICFJ director.
Elliott’s commitment to the power of storytelling to bear witness to and improve the human condition is reflected in the establishment of this award. Having served as a distinguished editor at The Economist, Newsweek, and Time, Elliott’s dream was to create an award uniting great journalism with progress in Africa.
Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling – Purpose of the Award
The Michael Elliott Award seeks to strengthen the voices of African journalists, providing a platform for them to tell compelling stories that resonate with the diverse experiences of the continent’s inhabitants.
In addition, the award aims to bring attention to the significant transformations underway in Africa, to the end that it showcases the power of storytelling in fostering understanding and positive change.
- The Michael Elliott Award is open to English-speaking journalists in Africa with no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit a published piece that exemplifies thoughtful reporting and exceptional storytelling, particularly those illuminating transformative change in Africa.
- Works in languages other than English must include English translations.
- Submissions can span various mediums, including print, broadcast, or digital journalism, and may include web, audio, video, visual, or mixed media.
- The submitted stories are expected to have been published between December 1, 2022, and December 1, 2023.
Benefits for Winners
The recipients of the Michael Elliott Award will not only receive a $5,000 cash prize but also a personalized award certificate.
As a unique opportunity, they will spend two weeks at The Economist headquarters in London, gaining invaluable insights and experiences.
Interested individuals can apply by filling out the application form via this link https://icfj.tfaforms.net/f/michael-elliott-application
The judging panel, consisting of prominent figures in the media industry from the US, UK, and Africa, will assess entries and communicate decisions to applicants by the spring of 2024.
For more details, kindly visit the official website at https://www.icfj.org/our-work/michael-elliott-award-excellence-african-storytelling
- Applications Open: 11/15/2023
- Application Deadline: January 31, 2024
- Program Commencement Dates: 3/1/2024 – 8/31/2024
The Michael Elliott Award places particular emphasis on impactful investigative or explanatory pieces. Submissions that illuminate transformative change in Africa are highly encouraged.
The selection process prioritizes articles that demonstrate analytical skills alongside outstanding writing ability.
More Related Content
- Michaels Customer Satisfaction Survey 2022 at mymichaelsvisit.com
- Ocean Storytelling Photography Grant 2023 (Cash Prize of $2000) – APPLY NOW
- Ocean Storytelling Photography Grant 2023 ($2,000 Cash Prize) – APPLY NOW
- Michael Taiwo Scholarship 2022 For International Students – How to Apply
- Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship 2023-24 New Zealand | APPLY NOW